Re: [GPSL] eternal ascent

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 2, 2010
      See my earlier. The patent covers inserting the cremains in the balloon
      envelope and letting it burst. No mention of a parachute or recovery, but
      the disclosure discusses use of a latex balloon due to its biodegrability.
      73 de Mike W5VSI

      On 8/2/2010 12:15, Jerry Gable wrote:

      > So he is patening the filling system more than anything. The problem he is
      > solving if you put grandpa in the balloon and it bursts during fill how do you
      > recover grandpa? Blasting him all over the loved ones at the launch site would
      > be a nightmare. SInce it is a fully enclosed system the size of the balloon is
      > limited so that is probably why the low altitude.
      > A separate container should be cleaner and safer.
      > The other issue is the percieved littering of a balloon and container.
      > Bio-degradable parachute and string?
      > Jerry

    • Michael Willett
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 2, 2010

        After reaching a respectable height, the ashes are dumped along with seeds of flowers, eventually transforming the countryside into a flowering oasis. The payload then free falls to the ground impaling itself, an arrow pointed up to the heavens that says, "This sign attests to the fact that the ashes of [your favorite deceased here] were spread in the winds above, and may have needed a little help in the right direction!" :)

        --Michael K5NOT

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 2, 2010
          "Umm, what is this fine coating of dust on my picnic lunch?  And why are there loose carraway seeds on my bun?"

          Paul

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 2, 2010
            Yeah - imagine that impaling the rag top on your boss's Porche.

            One thing to bear in mind, guys, is 14 CFR 101.7(b):

            " No person operating any moored balloon, kite, unmanned rocket, or unmanned
            free balloon may allow an object to be dropped therefrom, if such action
            creates a hazard to other persons or their property."

            Note that no one is exempt from the Dreaded 101.7 Catch 22 Rule.

            Guess it all depends on whether one considers getting doused in cremains
            is hazardous - sheesh!

            73 de Mike W5VSI

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 2, 2010
              I really would love to know how much it disperses (sp?) from 100K?

              Thats where we thought,,, but never did the flight,,  but was to xerox copy up say a whole ream of paper into tiny like ticket tape parade sized pieces with our contact information on them,  and drop the thousand from 100K  just to see how far away some may have fluttered.

              Be a fun and cheap experiment for some students!

              Joe
              Sig

              *From:* Joe <nss@... <mailto:nss%40mwt.net>>

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 2, 2010
                Couldn't be any worse than KD4STH's "potato bomb" that he dropped over IA or
                KS a few years ago :=).

              • Roger Hammond
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 2, 2010
                  We won't even talk about the particulate emissions that EPA might be interested in...oh wait, that's the power plant employee in me talking.

                  ;-)

                  Fugitive emissions.

                  Rog KC0MWM

                  --