Sparkfun

  • dvpatterson@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 6, 2010

      The team at Sparkfun have lost their HAB, and are working on a tutorial set to document what they learned... the hard way.  Currently featured on the Sparkfun front page, at: http://www.sparkfun.com.  The details are still a little sparse, but it could be a good read as details emerge, and perhaps an opportunity to help out one of the coolest hobby electronics shops out there.

      -David

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 6, 2010
        Take a look at the parts list here:
        http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutorial_info.php?tutorials_id=185

        There are a TON of doodads for HABists on here, including a $25 package that will log serial data onto microSD cards with minimal fuss.  Now I'm drooling again.

        73 de Mark N9XTN

        On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 10:31, <dvpatterson@...> wrote:

        The team at Sparkfun have lost their HAB, and are working on a tutorial set to document what they learned... the hard way.  Currently featured on the Sparkfun front page, at: http://www.sparkfun.com.  The details are still a little sparse, but it could be a good read as details emerge, and perhaps an opportunity to help out one of the coolest hobby electronics shops out there.

        -David

      • Jerry Gable
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 6, 2010
          I am on their top 500 customers list from buying things to tie on strings under balloons:-)

          Jerry
          http://s3research.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 6, 2010
            They do have a lot of neat stuff. I am actually visiting their office on Thursday morning, and I am encouraging them to be a GPSL sponsor.

            Zack

          • dvpatterson@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 6, 2010

              Nice!  You're making it harder and harder for me to miss the fun this year.  BTW, this just showed up on the site in reply to one of my comments (it's from Dave Stillman, a SFE engineer):

              Hey Dave! I talked with Rick from EOSS before launching, and he was extremely helpful and had tons of information. It's easy to see that they've been at it a long time!

              I'm really bummed but I've got other plans during GPSL 2010 already, but I'm definitely going next year!

              73s KI6YMZ

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 6, 2010
                Hey, Zack,

                I assume you mean you'll be in Boulder CO this Thur? If so, then
                stick around and join us in Deer Trail CO 0700 Sat 7/10 for EOSS-153
                carrying 12 CU balloonsats if you can. That's 50 mi E of Denver on
                I-70.

                73 de Mike W5VSI

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 6, 2010
                  I'd love to, but at this point, I'm planning on hiking Mt Democrat on Saturday morning.

                  Do you by chance have anything planned between Aug 7-15?

                  Zack

                  --
                  Mike Manes    mrmanes@...     Tel: 303-979-4899

                     GPSL-digest@yahoogroups.com
                     GPSL-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 6, 2010
                    Bummer. If you bring an HT, listen up on the 448.450 / 100 Hz Pikes
                    Peak repeater for our T&R net. APRS on 144.34 and DF on 147.555.

                    Enjoy your hike, and hope you get back down before the afternoon
                    thunderbumpers hit.

                    Only EOSS event 8/7-15 is our meeting in SE Denver 'burbs on Tues 8/10.
                    You'd be more than welcome to join us!

                    73 de Mike W5VSI

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 6, 2010
                      Hi David,

                      Hey, I've used SparkFun stuff in some EOSS payloads, most recently the
                      SamCam II:

                      http://www.eoss.org/hardware/samcam2/index.htm

                      It uses one of your gear motors, a PICAXE-8, a rubber-tired wheel,
                      Nd magnets and reed switches.

                      I really appreciate having an outfit like yours in the local area.

                      BTW, if you'd like to learn how EOSS has earned its 100% recovery rate out
                      of 152 flights to date, come on out to one of our flights:

                      http://www.eoss.org/flight/

                      We're flying EOSS-153 out of Greater Downtown Deer Trail (school grounds)
                      this Sat 7/10 at 0700 MDST.

                      73 de Mike W5VSI
                      CTO EOSS

                      On 7/6/2010 09:31, dvpatterson@... wrote:

                      > The team at Sparkfun have lost their HAB, and are working on a tutorial set to
                      > document what they learned... the hard way. Currently featured on the Sparkfun
                      > front page, at: http://www.sparkfun.com <http://www.sparkfun.com/>. The
                      > details are still a little sparse, but it could be a good read as details
                      > emerge, and perhaps an opportunity to help out one of the coolest hobby
                      > electronics shops out there.
                      >
                      > -David

                    • Dan Bowen
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 6, 2010
                        The recovery rate is greatly helped by living where trees are few and far between!  I can take you right to about 5 UTARC payloads, swinging gently in the canopies of 100+ foot tall trees in a national park :-).

                        Thanks,
                        Dan

                        Sent from my iPhone 4

                      • dvpatterson@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 7, 2010

                          Perhaps there has been some confusion... I don't actually work for Sparkfun, I just use their stuff a lot and frequent their website.  David Stillman, KI6YMZ, works for SFE, and was one of the driving forces behind the project.  However, I wholeheartedly agree that it's great to have them nearby... there's nothing like paying for overnight shipping in the form of USPS first class!

                          73's,

                          David Patterson

                          KB9QLS

                          --
                          Mike Manes    mrmanes@...     Tel: 303-979-4899

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 7, 2010
                            Sympatico. We've seen some of that ourselves at GPSL and even one that
                            we launched from the CU campus in Boulder that got a spoofed cutdown just
                            a minute after launch. It landed in a 100-ft oak tree, and we called the
                            Boulder FD's ladder truck to retrieve it. Then there are the three that
                            have landed across power lines - think of trees that bite!

                            I guess youse guys include a chain saw in your recovery go-bag? Or maybe
                            a potato gun like one of the guys demoed at GPSL last year or so?

                            73 de Mike W5VSI

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 7, 2010
                              OK - I guess mistook your earlier email as describing a Sparkfun-sponsored
                              flight. Maybe some day that will actually happen!
                              73 de Mike W5VSI