Near Space Ventures Flight Prediction Page

    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2010
      Morning All.

      Well NSS-48 was scrubbed due to weather.  it's dry and nice nd clear, and ground winds like 5 MPh.  but upper winds are like 200 Mile + flights and 90% chance of landing in lake Michigan.  So  tenetive re sked is next Sunday.

      But i have a question.  How does the whole prediction machine work?

      I know it's based on the ball trak program.  But what I'm trying to see how it works is where does it get it's sounding datas sets from?

      I'm somewhat in a no mans land. as far as NWS balloon launch sites go.  Im in EN43xo  (roughly 43N and 90W ) So pretty close to equidistant of three sounding sites

      GRB, MPX, and DVN.

      And when i run a prediction for each of them i get a different flight results.  which of course is expected.  Like just now i ran them. and the results came to be as follows  the results is bearing in deg and distance in miles

      GRB-43.7/207
      MPX error
      DVN 53/209

      Ok now station list  how does that work? Like the wisconsin list,
      http://nearspaceventures.com/w3Baltrak/htdocs/stationlist.html#WI
      there are 48 of them!  I know balloons do not get launched from all of  these, there s only one actual launch site GRB (Green Bay)
       The closest to the actual launch site for today is called CMY,  it's like 5 miles away.and it's report is

      CMY-47.2/211
      It's location is shown as
      CMYMCCOY (USA-AF) 43.97 -90.73256

      Next closest of VOK
      VOKVOLK/CAMP DOUGLAS 43.93 -90.27277
      It's about  23 Miles apart.
      And it spits out this for a prediction,
      VOK 47.2  /208

      Close but again different.

      So  with only GRB as a balloon site in WI  and the other two MPX and DVN being clsosest to me.

      How is this actually working?  When i choose station CMY say,  is it looking at the three data sets and averaging them out by weight of how cloes to each one CMY is?

      or what is actually happening when I choose CMY?

      Joe WB9SBD
      Near Space Sciences KB9KHO

      --
      Sig
      The Original Rolling Ball Clock
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2010
        Joe,

        The Air Resources Laboratory of NOAA uses the sounding data to make predictions at various air fields across the country.  A simple view would be a weighted average of nearby soundings.

        There are no sounding balloons in Indiana.  I tend to use the ILX from Lincoln, Illinois since most of the upper air masses move from west to east.  I will also use ILN in Wilmington, Ohio as a check, and more often for the winter flights.  Generally, when flying from Greencastle, I use the IND (Indianapolis predictions), although I have used BMG (Bloomington, IN) and HUF (Terre Haute).

        The set of predicted distance and headings are typical for the expected scatter from the models.

        Personally, the bigger error arises from the fact that we use a predicted wind field for one moment in time and our flights last two hours (or more).  I always run predictions using winds from T-3 hrs to T+3 hrs ( and an even wider time spread if a frontal passage is nearby).

        Howard

[...]

          <CLEAN-IDLE-TYME-LOGO-100-50.jpg>

              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2010
                Joe...copy the whole GFS prediction file text, save it on your drive, remember what you named it and it will work on the PC version of Balloon Track.

                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2010
                  If you are using the Flight Track add-in for MapPoint, you can copy the GFS prediction text to the clipboard and paste it into the New Flight Prediction dialog. From there, it displays the prediction on MapPoint. More details here

                  http://www.surfingsatellites.org/flighttrackhelp/FTWorkFlow.htm#predict

                  Joe