Balloon Supplier

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2010
      Kaymon is out of there 1200 gram balloons and don't know when they'll be back in stock.  Has anyone run into a problem liek this with Kaymont?  They've been good for me in the past, but I haven't had to order a balloon in over a year.

      Also, what is the name of the other supplier people have used, was it Scientific Supply?  As I recall, they were rather pricey.

      Thanks

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2010
        This guy has been chasing me for probably ohhh 8 years or so to come into the USA market.  But i just don't have the cash to do it.

        But the last set of prices he gave me were incredible.  Now grant you they are made in China,  sooo quality level is,,,,  well,,,, you know.  but the prices were like super crazy like a 2000 gram was only like 80 bucks!

        http://www.yunhuanelectronics.com/Meteorological_Balloon.htm

        Joe WB9SBD
        Near Space Sciences KB9KHO
        Sig
        The Original Rolling Ball Clock
        Idle Tyme
        Idle-Tyme.com
        http://www.idle-tyme.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2010
          Hi Paul,

          Yeah, Kaymont does run out of inventory from time to time, and there's
          about a 90-day lead time on orders. So we generally keep at least a 3-month
          supply on in our own inventory. At least once, we've bought out all of
          Kaymont's stock with a single order with the balance on back order.

          Scientific Sales distributes the other Japanese make latex balloons.
          We've had some bad luck with some of their products, including a 2000 gm
          that a 2" diameter hole in it, circled in magic marked and labeled "HOLE"
          that wasn't discovered until we rolled it out on launch morning. We
          asked for a refund, but all they offered us was a credit.

          73 de Mike W5VSI

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 30, 2010
            Well, I'm not ready to dis the Chinese product quality any more. All
            the Li-ion's in EOSS payloads are Chinese, and so is the balance charger.
            They've all performed darn well for us over the last 3 years and 30 flights.

            I see that Ningbo Yunhaun does have an ISO 9000:2000 Cert, and that's
            no mean feat, having struggled thru that process at the Ol' Ulcer Factory
            years ago. I guess what they need is a US distributor.

            Was that $80 price retail or OEM to distributor pricing?

            73 de Mike W5VSI