GPSL Update

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
      The GPSL plans are starting to come together.  Hopefully the website will be updated in the next couple of days, but there is one matter I'd like to bring to your attention.  Apparently, someone decided to plan a softball tournament on "our" weekend in Hutch, and consequently, the hotels are filling up very quickly.  I had hoped to find an "official" hotel for us all, but I'm afraid that may not be practical under the circumstances.

      So, if you plan on attending, and haven't already made arrangements, please do so SOON.

      Some hotel information:
      Hampton Inn - FULL
      Holiday Inn Express (620-669-5200) - About 10 rooms available
      Day's Inn (620-665-3700) - About 18 rooms available, but are mostly smoking rooms.
      Grand Prairie (620-669-9311) - Fair availability, depending on the exact nights you want to stay.
      There are plenty of others, these just happen to be ones that I'm vaguely familiar with.

      A quick note about the Grand Prairie: It tends to be a bit more pricey, and I know that some weren't that impressed with the room and the pool-side noise last time.  I got to visit some family at the GP a few weeks ago.  They were staying in a room on the north end of the hotel, away from the pool.  The room seemed nice and clean, and it was well away from the pool noise...

      Zack Clobes, W0ZC
      Project: Traveler
    • Keith Kaiser
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
        Zack,

        1) What do you want me to update on the web page?

        2) Would you like to show the BLAST! movie again, like last year?

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 18, 2010
          Hello GPSL'ers...

          Keith has the GPSL site updated with the schedule of events, including the various presentations on Friday.  I think that I accommodated everyone's time request that they submitted originally, but if these times don't work, please contact me ASAP.

          Like I said before, the hotels are filling up quickly, so please make your reservations NOW!  :-)

          Finally, I have some rough prices on helium.  These are rough, include delivery charges, and the salesman expected that they very well could drop by summer.  Once we get a little closer and have a firm price, I will get an online order form ready.

          Helium Prices (including delivery charges):
          K-Tank - $75 + tax
          T-Tank - $88 + tax

          I almost have the launch sites narrowed down, and hope to announce those this week.  Any questions, comments, or concerns about GPSL 2010?

          Zack Clobes, W0ZC
          Project: Traveler

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 8
              The schedule for GPSL is starting to come together.

              Registration
              If you haven't already, please register you attendance.  I'll be sending out PayPal requests later this week for attendance dues.  It is acceptable to pay at the door, but payment in advance really helps me cover the costs (most of which are due ahead of time).

              Thursday Afternoon Tour
              I have a tour arranged for the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center, just south of Hutchinson.  Details will be coming, but the tour will start at 3:00pm, and is held roughly a half hour south of Hutchinson.

              The Hall of Space at the Cosmosphere will also be available to tour Thursday morning and early afternoon, for those arriving early.  Tell them you are with the GPSL group, and you will receive your pass free of charge.

              If you are planning on attending the tour of the Law Enforcement Training Center, please email me a head count.  I don't think children will be a problem, but if you have anyone under 18 attending, please let me know so that I can verify that.

              Hydrogen
              For those of you purchasing gas, I'll be sending around a PayPal request for gas fees this week also.  If you need to make other non-PayPal arrangements, please email me and we can work something out.

              Launch Sites
              Our primary launch site will be the Hutchinson Airport, just as we did a couple of years back.  The secondary site has not been established yet.

              Agenda
              The Agenda is nearly complete.  I DO STILL HAVE TWO SLOTS OPEN FOR PRESENTERS.  If you would be interested in presenting, or would like to nominate someone else to present, please do so now!

              Arrivals
              I haven't heard any updates on hotel arrangements, but I do know that the hotels are filling up in Hutchinson that weekend.  If you could please update the group with you planned arrival time and where you'll be staying, I'm sure that others would be interested.

              Sorry, I know that's a lot to take in for one email.  Let me know if you have questions or concerns.

              Zack Clobes, W0ZC
              Project: Traveler
              www.projecttraveler.org

              Join us on Facebook for the latest information:

              Project: Traveler is a research project of Custom Digital Services, LLC.

            • BASE
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 9
                BASE DePauw will be there.  Marilyn and I plus two students are planning on arriving late in the day on Wednesday.  We will participate in the tour on Thursday afternoon.  We are staying at the Days Inn in Hutchinson.

                See everyone in a couple of months.

                Howard, KC9QBN

[...]

              • Michael Hojnowski
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 15
                  Hey Gang,

                  I'll be attending GPSL. I'm up in the air, so to speak, as to whether I
                  want to launch a balloon, or just help someone who needs foxhunting
                  assistance. I'll have my fully equipped 4wd chase vehicle along with
                  APRS, Laptop, aprsisce, etc. I'll have room for up to 3 passengers, if
                  anyone wants to ride along.

                  If someone wanted to launch, but was concerned about a chase vehicle, I
                  may be your guy. If i don't have any takers, I'll plan to launch a
                  simple payload of my own, just so we can fill the sky with balloons.
                  Regardless, I'm planning to launch another WSPR pico this year.

                  If interested in a chase assistance, please let me know in the next few
                  days, so I can register and request (or not) hydrogen.

                  Thanks,
                  Mike / KD2EAT
                • Michael West
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 15

                    Hey Mike (and all),

                    KG5PVB and I will be attending for the first time, only planning to chase right now. From what I’ve heard, there isn’t as much coordination on who chases what? Is there chaser etiquette I’m missing?

                    See you there,

                    --

                    Michael West

                    https://mwe.st

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 15
                      Usually at GPSL we coordinate the initial chase teams.  That is one part of the pre-flight meeting on Friday afternoon.

                      EOSS always has more that enough folks to assist other single vehicle teams.  BASE DePauw will be a single team and we can always use a second vehicle, or even a third.  I would be happy to have assistance again this year.

                      Once all of the payloads have landed, then we generally pool our efforts to help anyone who has lost contact with their payload.

                      Howard, KC9QBN
                      BASE DePauw

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 23
                          The Paypal requests for Friday's Symposium (including light breakfast snacks and catered BBQ lunch) have started going out.  The $40 only applies to those attending Friday's symposium - all other activities are free (or billed separately), but it is helpful for me to have head counts.

                          Please note that all other food is payable directly to the restaurant.  Friday night's dinner will be held in a private dining room and is $30 per attendee (includes dinner, drink, dessert, and gratuity).

                          I need to verify a number on the hydrogen orders tomorrow, and then I'll be sending out the requests for gas promptly.

                          I appreciate the pre-payment for Friday's attendance.  Gas pre-payment is required as it is non-refundable.

                          The current attendee list is now published.

                          Look for a balloon list to be published this week, including time slotting information.

                          It's getting close!!!