Re: FW: latest NTBP #11 launch dates

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2004
      Hi Doug,

      Welcome back to the now much larger balloonacy community! This
      stuff has really taken off in recent years, and I've posted a
      cc of this to a few of the balloon group email reflectors that
      you might want to join. And take a peek at EOSS's web site,
      www.eoss.org for more links, updates on our stuff, etc.

      The NASA Space Grant Colleges have taken a shine to high altitude
      balloons as a "poor man's space program" for aerospace undergrads.
      You might see if there are any interested colleges in the DFW area
      that you could link up with. Makes the activity a lot more like
      a real public service!

      73 de Mike W5VSI, EOSS

      Doug Howard wrote:

      > Hi Mike,
      >
      > Well it has been a few years, hasn't it? I was the coordinator of NTBP
      > for our first 8 launches and did a great deal of the payload
      > development. Then I had a family matter that required all of my
      > attention, and I couldn't continue being very involved in NTBP. Another
      > fellow, Bill Davis - KG5IE, took over for the 9th launch and he
      > discovered how much work was involved. After that, interest died in the
      > project partly because of all the work that it required and partly
      > because no one was willing to follow through with payload ideas. The
      > Lockheed Radio Club, kind of a sponsoring organization for NTBP, went
      > through a bit of a lull during that time (1998-2003) as well. Interest
      > began to pick up again after the Lockheed Club hosted the AMSAT
      > Symposium in 2002 and we began to plan for our 10th launch which occured
      > on Labor Day weekend 2003. Another guy, Jory McIntosh - KJ5RM, is the
      > payload developer on NTBP#11. He's a young and energetic guy that loves
      > to tinker with things, so he's had a fun time with it.
      >
      > So that's the story on what happened to cause the hiatus and what
      > brought us back to life. Thanks for the interest. It is good to get back
      > up in the air again.
      >
      > 73,
      > Doug - KG5OA

      Einstein