Verhage payload on "ES-OS" 'baby shamu' balloon

  • K. Mark Caviezel
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20, 2004
      > Thanks for the lift. I think I'll mount the camera
      > to a scan platform. This way it can
      > photo the ground, horizon, and balloon. It will
      > carry a GPS reciever so it can record
      > the altitude and time along with its data.
      >
      > What's my weight limit? How do you want me to
      > connect my payload to our balloon?

      well, if you self-jettisonned, I'd limit your weight
      at 40 lbs, but since you're not going to do that, 3-4
      lbs is do-able, right ? for payload attachment, I'm
      fine with probably any method you want as long it can
      withstand at least 100 lbs tensile pull. The flight
      string will be 250 lb tensile spectra. and btw,
      since you're flying a GPS unit in it, if you want to
      make it beacon APRS, you are more than invited to as I
      historically have flown some pretty sketchy APRS units
      and need all the help I can get!

      For good photography, you'll probably want to be
      completely vertical. Right now, I'm not sure I can
      give you the bottom of the flight string, but if you
      put a top and bottom attach point so that payloads can
      fly underneath yours, then that's fine.

      - KMC ac0ak (former kc0jhq) Denver, CO
    • paul.verhage@boiseschools.org
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 26, 2004
        > well, if you self-jettisonned, I'd limit your weight
        > at 40 lbs, but since you're not going to do that, 3-4
        > lbs is do-able, right ? for payload attachment, I'm
        > fine with probably any method you want as long it can
        > withstand at least 100 lbs tensile pull. The flight
        > string will be 250 lb tensile spectra. and btw,
        > since you're flying a GPS unit in it, if you want to
        > make it beacon APRS, you are more than invited to as I
        > historically have flown some pretty sketchy APRS units
        > and need all the help I can get!

        I'll keep the weight to 4 pounds, then. Thanks. I'll mount everything inside a box that
        has four attachment points. I don't know if I have the spare tracker, but I'll see what I
        can do.

        For anyone else out there, do you have a space APRS tracker (lightweight) that
        could go inisde my module?

        Paul
      • K. Mark Caviezel
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 27, 2004
          > For anyone else out there, do you have a space APRS
          > tracker (lightweight) that
          > could go inisde my module?
          >
          > Paul

          Paul, since you have GPS already onboard, you could
          add something like this:
          http://www.byonics.com/pockettracker/
          to make a tracker out of it.

          - KMC ac0ak