A couple of HABing Questions

  • Pete Lilja
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 22, 2010
      I have in my mind that we're not supposed to release < 6 lb. payload untethered balloons within 5 miles of an airport without FAA permission / approval / waiver.  Is that correct?

      And this question is a bit silly but I'm going to ask anyway.  Another of my many hobbies is flying high powered rockets.  At a few launches I've placed in my larger rockets bottles of Crown Royal Whisky to enjoy later with my fellow rocketeers after the range has closed for the day.  I've lofted full liter-sized glass bottles to the small, plastic airplane style bottles of the fine spirit without a negative outcome.  As you've probably guessed by now I've been thinking of doing the same in a HAB.  Since the highest altitude acheived for one of these High Spirit rocket flights has been just over 11,000' I am wondering what the opinion is amongst you more scientific-minded folks regarding the survivability of a small, plastic bottle of whisky would be at 100,000'?  It could be sealed in a Ziplock bag or two just in case but I'm really wondering how well the bottle would take the extremes of a near space flight...I think it'd be fun to share a toast to HABing with some Space Whisky.

      Pete
      KC0GPB
    • Idle-Tyme
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 22, 2010
        Lightweight, keep the whole thing under the 6 pounds and legally, I guess not a problem// Ziplock bag forget it. and hard to say about the regular small
        bottle.it will have about 15 Psi inside it at altitude.

        Joe WB9SBD  Near Space Sciences
        20+ years of HAB and counting.
        47  launched & 47 recovered, 100% recovery!

        Idle-Tyme The Original Rolling Ball Clock
        Idle-Tyme.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 22, 2010
          If your payload is fully exempt per FAR-101.1, then the only other provisions
          that apply are 101.7, hazardous operations, i.e., dropping stuff on people or
          their property.

          However, if your flight could get crossways with civil aviation, then it's a
          good idea to let the FAA know what you're up to, lest you get pilloried for
          negligence in the unlikely event of Gawd Forbid. Posting a HiBal and getting
          a NOTAM listed generally takes care of that and goes beyond your legal
          obligations per FAR-101 for exempt flights.

          Re StratoBooze: If the plastic bottle's well capped and doesn't contain much
          air, then I'd think it could survive a flight. But you might wanna start out
          with just a shooter. Not sure what the freezing point of 80 proof Jack might
          be, but it'll likely be nice and chilled if you make a snappy recovery.

          Just be sure you've got a designated T-totler driver for the trip back home
          from the recovery site :=}.

          73 de Mike W5VSI