Re: [KNSP] Time-base corrector rental

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4 3:34 PM
      Harry,

      Yes, however, on at least one tape the chaos after burst won't capture for a couple of minutes due to the glitches.  I have a couple of other tapes where the RF from the APRS beacon glitches the video every 30 seconds.  The video playback on screen isn't that rough, but apparently the sync is so ragged that the capture device gives up.  If I want to record "around" the glitches, this means babysitting the playback and stopping/restarting the tape frequently.  More trouble than I really want to go to.

      There are some "pro-sumer" TBC units for about $200.  Commercial units are four figures.  I found a place that rents them online, but they a few hundred $$ per week.  I'm hoping someone on the list encountered the same thing digitizing their home movies and has a prosumer unit sitting around.

      The units do pop up on eBay from time to time and if I can snag one at a reasonable price I'll get it for this project and resell it later.

      As an aside, while we're on the subject of video, I got my wife a Kodak Zi8 to get video of the kids.  It will do HD video at 1080p/30fps or 720p/60fps (also standard-def equivalent).  The Zi6 is a similar unit but uses AA batteries (preferable for balloon use, I think) and does not have image stabilization.  The Zi6 can be had for under $100 and should produce excellent video - the Zi8 video is outstanding for a unit in its price class.  Likely equal or better than the Flip units.  Records to SD cards.

      73 de Mark N9XTN

      On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 15:56, HarryM <hhm_74115@...> wrote:
      Hi Mark,

      Could you not record several segments, eliminating the bad areas, then splicing the segments together digitally in the software?

      73 Harry KC5TRB