ATV Frequencies

  • wb8elk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2010
      hi Pete,

        In your area, you can use any of the common ATV frequencies....439.25 MHz would be received by more folks in the midwest who are on ATV as that is their usual contact frequency. However, check to see if there is any interference by local 440 FM repeaters that are near the passband. 434 MHz is a little clearer frequency but if you are in town, you'll see some interference by wireless thermometers that operate on 433.92 MHz....a common gift for Christmas...the interference starts to decrease a few months later when the batteries fail. 427.25 or 426.25 are usually fairly clear frequencies and good to use as well....we've done a number of flights on both of those frequencies with little interference....but for those near the Canadian border (Line A) you can't use those two...but that shouldn't affect you in Kansas.

        I'd recommend setting up a test where you put the balloon ATV transmitter on a campus roof and trying to receive it from a few miles away. Do the test on each of the above frequencies and choose the one with the least interference.

      73s de Bill WB8ELK