atv freq(s)

  • Pete
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2010
      KWU in Salina KS, EM18, is building a payload with ATV. Wondering what frequency will be the best for this area? Got an inquiry into the KC atv group and looking to see if a group is active in Wichita with the intent not to interfere with a atv repeater they might have. Looks like the simplex atv freq is 427.250 according to the ARRL band plan. What has been done in the past? Know of any active groups that might be affected by our flight?

      tnx, Pete NØOY
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2010
        Hi Pete,

        EOSS runs its NTSC DSB-AM ATV on 426.25. The other common freq, 439.25, has
        sidebands that get into the repeater input freq sub-band. We didn't get any
        gripes when we flew it out of Lawrence or Hutchinson at the GPSLs.

        73 de Mike W5VSI

        On 1/1/2010 20:18, Pete wrote:
        > KWU in Salina KS, EM18, is building a payload with ATV. Wondering what frequency will be the best for this area? Got an inquiry into the KC atv group and looking to see if a group is active in Wichita with the intent not to interfere with a atv repeater they might have. Looks like the simplex atv freq is 427.250 according to the ARRL band plan. What has been done in the past? Know of any active groups that might be affected by our flight?
        >
        > tnx, Pete NØOY

      • Mark Garrett
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2010
          I want to say that the 427.250 was used to get away from satellite operations.  I would think that if you did run a watt or two you probably would not bother anyone else unless you were close in and close frequency.

          BTW: Launch one again my way Pete, we now have an APRS node here that works pretty well in the area.

          Mark, KA9SZX

          KWU in Salina KS, EM18, is building a payload with ATV. Wondering what frequency will be the best for this area? Got an inquiry into the KC atv group and looking to see if a group is active in Wichita with the intent not to interfere with a atv repeater they might have. Looks like the simplex atv freq is 427.250 according to the ARRL band plan. What has been done in the past? Know of any active groups that might be affected by our flight?

          tnx, Pete NØOY

        • Michael Bogard
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2010
            Hi Pete an group.
            The ATV National Simplex frequency is 439.250 MHZ. Most ATV'ers watch that frequency and listen to 144.340 MHZ FM for simplex contacts.The ATV'ers will use horizontal antennas for dx. My first balloon package that I sent up years ago was seen 400 miles at 100,000 feet. That is if you have a little power (i used 4 to 5 watts) and a horizontal antenna with a little gain like the ones w6oal sells. Vertical antennas a lot of times don't have the band with that is needed when sending wide band video with audio. As far as the ATV repeater here in Kansas City Kansas I have it down right now but will be back up within weeks. It uses 439.250 input and that is on a vertical antenna and if you got a signal into it that would be great so don't worry about us. The ATV repeater in Topeka Kansas is 1.2 gig FM input and 427.250 am output but is still not on the air at this time. There is just a small number of ATV'ers west and south of KC but the most are east of St Louis. Have a great flight and let me know what date and I will look forward to looking for it. 73's Mike KDØFW Kansas City Mo.