DARPA network challenge

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
      A rather interesting contest.  First prize is $40,000.

      73 de Mark N9XTN

      To mark the 40th anniversary of the Internet, DARPA has announced the DARPA Network Challenge, a competition that will explore the role the Internet and social networking plays in the timely communication, wide area team-building and urgent mobilization required to solve broad scope, time-critical problems.

      The challenge is to be the first to submit the locations of ten moored, 8 foot, red weather balloons located at ten fixed locations in the continental United States. Balloons will be in readily accessible locations and visible from nearby roadways.

    • wb8elk@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2009
        Hi All....looks like we should all team up as a "social network" and win this thing!!!

        My guess is that many of these will be located near military bases where many of us work....the trick is to tell them apart from car dealership balloons.

        - Bill

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2009
          Count me in.  What, split the winnings equally between everyone who presents a Lat/Lon?

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2009
            Just make sure that you don't end up spotting a scam red pibal hung out
            by giggling ARHAB tricksters - eheheheh :=}.
            73 de Mike W5VSI

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 3, 2009
              Hi Zack...sounds good to me...I'll be on the lookout here in Huntsville...I would expect that's there a high probability that one will be here near the Redstone Arsenal.

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 2009
                Deb and I will also be on the lookout here in the Kansas City area.

                On Nov 3, 2009, at 4:02 AM, wb8elk@... wrote:

                Hi Zack...sounds good to me...I'll be on the lookout here in Huntsville.. .I would expect that's there a high probability that one will be here near the Redstone Arsenal.

                A rather interesting contest.  First prize is $40,000.

                73 de Mark N9XTN

                To mark the 40th anniversary of the Internet, DARPA has announced the DARPA Network Challenge, a competition that will explore the role the Internet and social networking plays in the timely communication, wide area team-building and urgent mobilization required to solve broad scope, time-critical problems.
                The challenge is to be the first to submit the locations of ten moored, 8 foot, red weather balloons located at ten fixed locations in the continental United States. Balloons will be in readily accessible locations and visible from nearby roadways.

                73's
                Keith Kaiser

              • Mark Garrett
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 3, 2009
                  I feel left out as there are no military bases around here-Sniff.

                  Mark Garrett, KA9SZX

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 3, 2009
                    My thoughts are that we (ARHAB enthusiasts) probably won't happen to be next to all of the balloons. But that's not to say that you won't happen to know (or be on Facebook) with someone who is near it, and therefore can get/provide the Lat/Lons.

                    On Nov 3, 2009 11:44am, Mark Garrett <ka9szx@...> wrote:

                    > I feel left out as there are no military bases around here-Sniff.
                    >
                    > Mark Garrett, KA9SZX

                  • Jon Riley
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 3, 2009
                      I think it would be really cool if we all could be apart of this with our network of fellow ballooners.Just think how it would be if 2010 GPLS could be the biggest one ever.Balloons and gas for everybody !!

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 4, 2009
                        That would be cool.  I guess what is needed is a representative that represents GPSL and takes the reports from members to submit the locations and gain the prize on behalf of GPSL.  Money to be used to host future GPSL events.

                        Mark Garrett, KA9SZX