Re: [GPSL] CHDK

  • James Hannon
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2009
      I was excited when I read about CHDK a while back until I started looking for cameras on their compatibility list to buy. Not too many of the current Canon offerings are on the list.

      Jim Hannon
      http://www.fmtcs.com/web/jmhannon/
      42,11.90N,91,39.26W
      WB0TXL

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 11, 2009
            I noticed today that recent CHDK builds include shutter control via the USB port, so that is possible for those wishing for microcontroller control.

            However, it's nice to have a camera that is not at all dependent on other electronics to function.  I put a 4 Gb card in mine and shoot at 15 second intervals and still don't fill the card up after a 3-hour flight.

            I did find that if you use a card larger than 4 Gb, you cannot have the camera boot the card's firmware automatically on power-up.  This is because FAT32 is required to format an 8 Gb card and the auto-boot function only works on FAT16 cards.

            Also, about the fastest the camera can take pictures is 4-5 second intervals.  I think it'll burst at a faster rate but can't sustain it.  I was hoping to make a time-lapse movie of a hot-air balloon flight, but it didn't come out all that good because of the long interval.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOpau2m3iyc

            73 de Mark N9XTN