Re: [GPSL] CHDK

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2009
      I'm going to add a sidebar to a future article about CDHK.  I'll need to know which indivduals brought up CDHK on the list so I can give them credit.  I can start searching old posts, but if you recall bringing p CDHK, let me know.

      Now, if I could just get the Canon cameras for less.

      Thanks,
      Paul

      On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Pete Lilja <plilja@...> wrote:

      CHDK is the shizzle.  There are so many scripts out there doing so many things it's amazing.

      The lightning detection script is a fast motion detector.  The camera compares user selectable grids (select the number of squares in the view screen) for changes.  It's 'sensitivity' is also selectable.  While there would be a learning curve I am sure the script would do what you'd like.

      I recently went to the Pyrotechnics Guild International's convention in Mason City, Iowa and used a motion detection script to photograph the fireworks. It worked very well in triggering the camera when the fireworks lit.  http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/bigheadpete/PGI%202009/

      Pete

      On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 12:00 PM, L. Paul Verhage <nearsys@...> wrote:

      This is way too cool.  I've started playing with a Canon A550 after hearing Mark and Mike's comments.  So far I've created a simple intervalometer that replaces the relay driven cameras I've used in the past.  Since the A550 is not an S series camera, I don't have access to the flash.  So I've manaully shut that off.  Next I'd like to write the code for a camera pointed downward.  It would take pictures more frequently at low altitude and less frequently at high altitude.

      I wonder about using the lightning detection code to detect balloon burst, or if the expansion and movement of the balloon would be too much and trigger false positives.

    • James Hannon
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11, 2009
        I was excited when I read about CHDK a while back until I started looking for cameras on their compatibility list to buy. Not too many of the current Canon offerings are on the list.

        Jim Hannon
        http://www.fmtcs.com/web/jmhannon/
        42,11.90N,91,39.26W
        WB0TXL

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 11, 2009
              I noticed today that recent CHDK builds include shutter control via the USB port, so that is possible for those wishing for microcontroller control.

              However, it's nice to have a camera that is not at all dependent on other electronics to function.  I put a 4 Gb card in mine and shoot at 15 second intervals and still don't fill the card up after a 3-hour flight.

              I did find that if you use a card larger than 4 Gb, you cannot have the camera boot the card's firmware automatically on power-up.  This is because FAT32 is required to format an 8 Gb card and the auto-boot function only works on FAT16 cards.

              Also, about the fastest the camera can take pictures is 4-5 second intervals.  I think it'll burst at a faster rate but can't sustain it.  I was hoping to make a time-lapse movie of a hot-air balloon flight, but it didn't come out all that good because of the long interval.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOpau2m3iyc

              73 de Mark N9XTN