Line between the balloon and the parachute ?

  • k6rpt
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2009
      How long should the line be between the balloon and the parachute and between the parachute and the fist payload box?

      -Ron K6RPT
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2009
        I make my load line, the string between the balloon and parachute, about 20 feet long.  I want to ensure the balloon fragments have every opportunity to fall over the side of the parachute.

        The shroud lines on my near spacecraft are roughly the about circumference of the parachute.  I do this based on something I read many years ago (I don't recall the reference now).

        Paul

        On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 10:28 AM, k6rpt <Ron@...> wrote:
        How long should the line be between the balloon and the parachute and between the parachute and the fist payload box?

        -Ron K6RPT

           mailto:GPSL-digest@yahoogroups.com
           mailto:GPSL-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • 74115
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2009
          My load line from capsule #1 to balloon is 8-10 feet.

          73 Harry

          -----
          Harry Mueller - KC5TRB - Tulsa
          Oklahoma Research Balloons
          Home Page  - http://members.cox.net/hhm_74775/orb/
          -----

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 4, 2009
            to us it all depends on what we are flying.

            The Balloon tho chute distance is like others have said, at lease long enough that all the balloon remenains can fall completely way past the chute and shroud lines.

            In our flights this is raarely a problem.

            On a RF flight like a corssband repeater the chute is usually close to the payload.  the gather where all the shroud lines come together, is usually 5 feet ot so from the payload,  whatever is a convient left over piece of line.  And then the line from the top of chute to balloon is usually long enough that the balloon leftovers can fall below the payload if possible..

            Now a Video flight,  the distance from payload to chute is similar,,  but the distance between the chute and the balloon  always depends on the wind at launch time  if it's windy it will be about 100 feet long,  and if it's calm  then we go as much as 300 feet.

            Joe WB9SBD

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 2009
              My mistake!

              The CHUTE to balloon distance is 8-10 feet, not capsule to balloon.

            • Bruce Coates
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 4, 2009
                Hi Ron

                SABRE is using a very long parachute to payload line, 50 to 75 feet.  The only reason is to reduce the amount of swing and sway in the payload so we get video that's watchable without pails of Gravol.  For balloon to patachute, it's 10-20 feet ... for no particular reason.

                73, Bruce

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 5, 2009
                  EOSS has standardized on 12 - 15 ft of lift line between the balloon and
                  the 'chute apex. This allow the balloon to be laid out over the line prior
                  to fill and still clear the parachute, and it also discourages latex shards
                  from the bursting (exploding!) balloon from snagging in the 'chute and shroud
                  lines.
                  73 de Mike W5VSI