Re: [GPSL] Predicting landing sites

  • wb8elk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2009
      Ron,

        www.eoss.org  has Balloon Track that you can download to predict your flight path....it is pretty accurate within about 3 days of launch....but you can predict out to longer than that to get a general trend....it will also allow you to choose a landing spot and backtrack the prediction to show where you'd have to launch from to achieve that landing site goal.

        There is also on online version at:  www.nearspaceventures.com .... click on "Web Based Balloon Track on the lower right of that page.

        I was launching a couple of balloons at Pacificon hamfest and also at Fresno hamfest back in the early 90s....I used to live in Berkeley, Santa Barbara and Sierra Madre near Pasadena. I've also flown from the Mojave Desert, Santa Barbara, Carmel Valley and San Clemente.

        I usually enter 1000 feet/min ascent rate and about 1100 ft/min descent rate for the calculations.  You can also use the Ascent rate calculator to determine the amount of nozzle lift to achieve the desired ascent rate for your system once you know the payload weight.