Peacestar Balloon help

  • wb8elk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2003
      A group called Peacestar has contacted me about flying a zero pressure
      balloon across the country just before Christmas (Dec.20 or 21)....the idea is to
      have a strobe lamp below the balloon lighting up the envelope at night and also
      it should be pretty visible during the day.....to simulate the Christmas star.

      I'm putting together an APRS payload for it with solar panels....and an ATV
      payload that can be turned on from time to time.

      Raven is supplying the balloon, if we can get it high enough during the day
      (130 or 140k), it could stay in the air for another day or two without coming
      down through the tropopause....although we may carry a little ballast on it
      just to make sure.

      I'm currently looking for a launchsite or group willing to help out with
      getting this off the ground....they want to be able to fly from the West and cut
      it down before it hits the Atlantic....this time of year that may only take
      less than 2 days.

      Although California might be the ideal place for the farthest distance across
      the country, I think it would be best to fly from an established balloon
      group area.

      Let me know if any of you are interested in helping out with launchsite,
      payload, tracking, etc.

      73s de Bill WB8ELK
    • Harry M
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2003

        Hi Bill,

        If you need any support from the Oklahoma City or Tulsa area let me know!
        Does Peacestar have a web-site?

        -----
        73
        Harry - KC5TRB
        Oklahoma Research Balloons
        http://www.gbronline.com/harrymue/orb7
        -----

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2003
          I came up with this on a Yahoo search.  It has some information, but this Journal page has Bill's name in it and how he got involved.  A place to start.....

          Doug, KAØO

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2003

            Thanks Doug!

            -----
            73
            Harry - KC5TRB
            -----

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2003

              -----
              73
              Harry - KC5TRB
              Oklahoma Research Balloons
              http://www.gbronline.com/harrymue/orb7
              -----

              ---
            • Michael L. Bogard
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 1, 2003
                Hi Bill

                Count the Kansas City  Amateur Television Group in with at least tracking. Keep the group advised as what, where, and when as this sounds very interesting. Thanks

                P.S. I am looking for plans to build a 432 square loop antenna for the mobile and can't find the site it was at a while back. Any help? Thanks de kd0fw Mike.