Re: [Fwd: [GPSL] GPSL 2004]

  • paul.verhage@boiseschools.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2003
      It is the 4th of July weekend. Maybe I ought to get to work on planning this.

      Paul

      > Hi Larry,
      >
      > Here it is: "Cosmosphere" in Hutchison KS. Date is still in flux,
      > however. Suspect that Sat 3 July 04 would work. The MS150 event is
      > on the weekend of 10-11 July, and I'm committed there.
      >
      > For Paul: an EOSS contingent is interested in making GPSL '04 - but
      > still not sure what's the current consensus date.
      >
      > 73 de Mike W5VSI

    • Ralph Wallio, W0RPK
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2003
        The last I recall hearing from Zack was that they would be happy to be our
        host in Hutchinson. It seems reasonable for Paul to be a distant Trail Boss
        for GPSL2004 but we need local hosts for lodging, meal, conference, launch
        and other arrangements.

        I also recall Zack mentioning a significant charge for conference facilities
        in the Cosmosphere, perhaps $200. In my opinion this is a heck of deal if
        it includes access to the Cosmosphere Museum for all attendees. If we could
        entice 40 attendees to be with us this would be only ~$5 apiece. A normal
        adult ticket costs $11 including an IMAX show.

        TNX es 73 de Ralph Wallio, W0RPK
        wallio@...
        http://users.crosspaths.net/wallio/
        Hubbert's Peak - The Mother of all Perfect Storms

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2003
          I just gave them a quick call to ask a few questions.

          First of all, the main room is not available on Friday 3 July until after
          6:30pm. It is available on Fri 9 July all day. That room costs $225 for
          the day. There is Internet access available (I gathered it was a
          bring-your-own-computer type of setup).

          They have an "observation deck" that I believe is available on any of the
          Fridays for $125 but I wouldn't recommend it. It is not enclosed at all and
          it overlooks the main lobby of the Cosmosphere. She didn't recommend the
          observation deck for anything other than evening use because there is a lot
          of traffic through the area with staff going to and from the main office.
          It can seat 40-50 people, and there is no way to dim the lights or even a
          front of the room to setup a projection screen.

          Tickets are not included with the room rental fees. For out-of-county
          passes, the mueseum costs $3 to go through. They do offer a discounted rate
          on the IMAX passes of $5 each if they are purchased in conjunction with the
          room rental. I didn't ask about it, but I believe they also have group
          rates available even if we don't rent a room from them.

          On the bright side, the lady was very receptive to having us setup a radio
          booth during that Saturday - either at our club station (assuming it's still
          around - they've moved us a couple of times lately) or a temporary station
          and running coax out the side door. She was going to get approval on that
          and get back with me by the end of the week.

          Zack Clobes, W0ZC
          Project: Traveler
          www.rckara.org