Re: SO2 layers visible in recent balloon photos?

  • K. Mark Caviezel
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
      And if Bill or anyone in the South is flying be sure to invite Bobby Jindal out to see the far ranging impacts of an erupting volcano.

      best regards,

      - Mark ng0x
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009

        Wasn't that sad?  If this is what our elected officials think about science, we're doomed.

        Paul

        On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 7:11 AM, K. Mark Caviezel <kmcaviezel@...> wrote:

        And if Bill or anyone in the South is flying be sure to invite Bobby Jindal out to see the far ranging impacts of an erupting volcano.

        best regards,

        - Mark ng0x

           mailto:GPSL-digest@yahoogroups.com
           mailto:GPSL-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • BASE
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
          Dear friends,

          We're also considering flying a passive SO2 detector system using potassium permanganate based on the information from this link:

          http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4277368.html

          Other substances may trigger the color change, but it seems to be worth a try.  If you have access to a chemistry department, it shouldn't be too hard to make a detector to attach to any box in your flight string.

          If several of us flying this weekend (I think that there are about 18 flights on Ralph's list) could add this detector and not all of us see a reaction, then we might have additional evidence of the SO2 cloud.

          Howard

        • James Hannon
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009

            Sounds like something interesting to experiment with. You should not really need a chemistry dept to make this sensor. Potassium permanganate is used in treating iron filters for water treatment and can often be found in stores selling water filtering supplies. I bought a bottle from my local Sears store. If you don't already have the silica gell you can probably get it from a craft store. It is used in making dried flowers.

            Jim Hannon
            http://www.fmtcs.com/web/jmhannon/
            42,11.90N,91,39.26W
            WB0TXL