Re: [GPSL] SO2 layers visible in recent balloon photos?

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2009
      I hope to be flying with a camera this weekend too, but the weather in
      Lincoln is unlikely to be favorable (rain and 30-mph winds). Fingers
      crossed that the next system comes into Kansas slower than expected.

      73 de Mark N9XTN

      On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 07:16, BASE <basedepauw@...> wrote:
      > Mark,
      >
      > The HALO II flights are also scheduled for this Saturday.  If all goes well,
      > there will be fifteen balloons flying simultaneously from Minnesota and Iowa
      > east to New York.  I'll pass the word to those that might be flying cameras
      > or other detection equipment.
      >
      > Howard

    • K. Mark Caviezel
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
        And if Bill or anyone in the South is flying be sure to invite Bobby Jindal out to see the far ranging impacts of an erupting volcano.

        best regards,

        - Mark ng0x
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009

          Wasn't that sad?  If this is what our elected officials think about science, we're doomed.

          Paul

          On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 7:11 AM, K. Mark Caviezel <kmcaviezel@...> wrote:

          And if Bill or anyone in the South is flying be sure to invite Bobby Jindal out to see the far ranging impacts of an erupting volcano.

          best regards,

          - Mark ng0x

             mailto:GPSL-digest@yahoogroups.com
             mailto:GPSL-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • BASE
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
            Dear friends,

            We're also considering flying a passive SO2 detector system using potassium permanganate based on the information from this link:

            http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4277368.html

            Other substances may trigger the color change, but it seems to be worth a try.  If you have access to a chemistry department, it shouldn't be too hard to make a detector to attach to any box in your flight string.

            If several of us flying this weekend (I think that there are about 18 flights on Ralph's list) could add this detector and not all of us see a reaction, then we might have additional evidence of the SO2 cloud.

            Howard

          • James Hannon
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009

              Sounds like something interesting to experiment with. You should not really need a chemistry dept to make this sensor. Potassium permanganate is used in treating iron filters for water treatment and can often be found in stores selling water filtering supplies. I bought a bottle from my local Sears store. If you don't already have the silica gell you can probably get it from a craft store. It is used in making dried flowers.

              Jim Hannon
              http://www.fmtcs.com/web/jmhannon/
              42,11.90N,91,39.26W
              WB0TXL