Re: [GPSL] BatchPCB

  • Greg Clark
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 11, 2009
      Mike,

      Yes, that's one thing I can't say -- no way I could get mine up and
      running in one day!

      And, right again, I probably spend more time laying out the board than
      it would take to get it thru the PCB program -- especially if you have
      to start messing around w/ creating new library components....

      -- Greg

      On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 9:20 PM, Mike Manes <mrmanes@...> wrote:
      > Hi Greg,
      >
      > Well, I can design and build a perfboard circuit in less time than it takes
      > lay out a PCB using my favorite CAD program (TangoPCB), and it's up and
      > running the same day. I don't use wire-wrap any more - too bulky. I do use
      > #30 AWG Kynar, but solder point-to-point to IC sockets and discrete
      > component
      > leads. With careful layout, the excess leads themselves are used to make the
      > connections.
      >
      > But if I ever find a need for several copies of the same circuit, then I'd
      > sure consider laying out a PCB in lieu of fabbing several pefboards.
      >
      > BTW, back when I was prototyping all-digital (read TTL and CMOS) circuits,
      > I grew to love the 3M prototyping method, which replaces wire wrap pins with
      > IDC pins on IC and SIP sockets. Each pin could accommodate 1 or 2 #30 kynar
      > leads ... just lay the insulated wire over the pin and punch it down.
      > Multiple-node wires daisy-chained lickety-split. I built a machine
      > controller
      > using that system, and it survived some pretty nasty vibration no sweat.
      > Only
      > issue was the cost - about same as wire-wrap - but the circuit side depth
      > was
      > about the same a thru-hole PCB (0.12 max above surface). Works with any 0.1"
      > grid perfboard, plated or not.
      >
      > 73 de Mike W5VSI
      >
      > Greg Clark wrote:
      >> Yeah, but when you find out just how inexpensive batchpcb is, you'll
      >> never make a wire wrap board again!!! (at least for the tiny boards I
      >> make). They're about as cheap as you can get -- only drawback is the
      >> time it takes......
      >>
      >> They route their orders thru www.goldphoenix.biz, I use them for all
      >> of my volume board runs. Great service, and great prices
      >>

      >> - Greg
      >>
      >> On 2/11/09, Mike Manes <mrmanes@...> wrote:
      >>>

      >>> Hmmm ... I think a PCB is great if you need multiple copies of a given
      >>> design. But in my experience, balloon payload circuitry is built as
      >>> onesies. So I use perfboard, and from time to time, raw clad G10 and
      >>> a Dremel tool to get up and running fast (and cheap). I've even used
      >>> SMT ICs this way - glued down dead-bug form - with bare #30 AWG between
      >>> pins and the board. Oogly but effective.
      >>>
      >>> 73 de Mike W5VSI

      >>> --
      >>> Mike Manes mrmanes@... Tel: 303-979-4899
      >>> "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not more so."
      >>> A. Einstein

      > Mike Manes mrmanes@... Tel: 303-979-4899
      > "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not more so."
      > A. Einstein

    • jjdemeyer
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 12, 2009
        I have had good experiences with BatchPCB as well. I flew PC boards
        with a Lassen iQ GPS, sensors, and an A/D board. It all worked great!

        Joe
        Surfing Satellites

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 12, 2009
          For my onesies I make a PCB at home with DALPro parts and Ares Lite to design the PCB.  I can shoot, develop, etch, and drill the PCB at home.  The baords are high qaulity and I've never come across something I need that I couldn't make.

          I'm starting to use BatchPCB to test commerical designs.  The goal is to go to Gold Phoenix myself to make larger lots of tested boards.

          Paul

             mailto:GPSL-digest@yahoogroups.com
             mailto:GPSL-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 12, 2009
            I figure with Ares Lite and DALPro, I can come up with an idea on Friday after work and have it working before going back to work on Monday.  Of course, this depends on the complexity and my free time.

            Paul