NASA deploys huge clingfilm strato-pump kin over Antarctic • The Register

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 11, 2009
      Pretty neat story about NASA's mondo superpressure balloon test flight,
      ultimately capable of 2200 lb neck loads up to 110K'. And it floats there
      without having to dump ballast. The hard part is making the envelope strong
      enough to tolerate overpressure without making it a lead balloon.

      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/09/nasa_pumpkin_balloon_over_antarctic/

      73 de Mike W5VSI, EOSS
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 13, 2009
        has anyone heard how this mission has progressed?

        Is it still up or what?

        Joe NSS

        Mike Manes wrote:

        >Pretty neat story about NASA's mondo superpressure balloon test flight,
        >ultimately capable of 2200 lb neck loads up to 110K'. And it floats there
        >without having to dump ballast. The hard part is making the envelope strong
        >enough to tolerate overpressure without making it a lead balloon.
        >
        >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/09/nasa_pumpkin_balloon_over_antarctic/
        >
        >73 de Mike W5VSI, EOSS

      • Luis Eduardo Pacheco
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
          As far as today the ULDB is traveling over the East Antarctic Plateau at an altitude of 110.700 feet. According to NASA sources both altitude and differential pressure have continued to remain steady.

          The flying pumpkin has been 16 days until now aloft.

          Greetings
          --
          Luis Eduardo Pacheco
          StratoCat - http://stratocat.com.ar

          Mike Manes wrote:

          >Pretty neat story about NASA's mondo superpressure balloon test flight,
          >ultimately capable of 2200 lb neck loads up to 110K'.  And it floats there
          >without having to dump ballast.  The hard part is making the envelope strong
          >enough to tolerate overpressure without making it a lead balloon.
          >
          >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/09/nasa_pumpkin_balloon_over_antarctic/
          >
          >73 de Mike W5VSI, EOSS

              mailto:GPSL-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:GPSL-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • Luis Eduardo Pacheco
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
            A first hand -near real time- source is the CSBF web site for the campaign at

            http://www.csbf.nasa.gov/antarctica/ice0809.htm

            Greetings
            --

          • nss@mwt.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
              So cool looks like it's been up for 17 days and still flying

              Yeah!! way to go!

              > A first hand -near real time- source is the CSBF web site for the campaign
              > at
              >
              > http://www.csbf.nasa.gov/antarctica/ice0809.htm
              >
              > Greetings
              > --
              > Luis Eduardo Pacheco
              > StratoCat - http://stratocat.com.ar
              > Proyecto de recopilación histórica sobre el uso de globos estratosféricos
              > en
              > la investigación cientifica, el campo militar y la actividad aeroespacial
              >

              > 2009/1/14, Joe <nss@...>:
              >>
              >> has anyone heard how this mission has progressed?
              >>
              >> Is it still up or what?
              >>

              >> Joe NSS
              >>

              >> Mike Manes wrote:
              >>
              >> >Pretty neat story about NASA's mondo superpressure balloon test flight,
              >> >ultimately capable of 2200 lb neck loads up to 110K'. And it floats
              >> there
              >> >without having to dump ballast. The hard part is making the envelope
              >> strong
              >> >enough to tolerate overpressure without making it a lead balloon.
              >> >

              >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/09/nasa_pumpkin_balloon_over_antarctic/
              >> >
              >> >73 de Mike W5VSI, EOSS

            • Luis Eduardo Pacheco
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
                An Antarctic mission -as correctly pointed another person in this same list- is a tricky flight for a superpressure because the balloon receives 24 hours of sunlight plus the reflection from the snow surface. No night-day transitions. As a comparation a well ballasted zero pressure balloon cruised three times around the pole duirng the record braking flight of 42 days in 2004. See it at http://stratocat.com.ar/fichas-e/2004/MCM-20041216.htm

                Nevertheless, the succesfull flight is a lot of fresh air for the project after several failures in the past. Hope this new design overcome the past glitches and at last NASA would acomplish the 100-days-big-payload-no ballast-at-mid-latitudes- goal for the ULDB.

                Best regards

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
                  Luis,

                  You seem to be well connected with these missions down there. Do you have
                  anything to do with them. Or simply an interested by-stander like most of
                  us?

                  Joe WB9SBD
                  Near Space Sciences

                • Luis Eduardo Pacheco
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
                    The later... I'm in South America, more preciselly Argentine Republic.

                    I'm a kind of "balloon-freak" :-)

                  • Dan Bowen
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
                      Yes, no day/night transitions would sure be nice!  That's of course what limits our amateur ZP flights.  Have to drop a lot of ballast at sunset.  Our SNOX series had enough battery power to last 5 days, but the system had to drop all 6lbs of ballast on the first sunset.  Amateurs need more data publicized on this subject, ZP balloons on multi-day flights don't need to be million-dollar missions, we did 5 of them for about $400 a mission, with $200 polyethylene 920 cu ft ZP balloons from Global Western, and hf transmitter/flight computer made by our team WA4ADG, KJ4Z and K2VOL.  Now with FindMeSpot, you don't even have to use a worldwide network of hf tracking stations as we did, though telemetry won't go over findmespot.  We intend to release our data for others to learn from, though we'll probably wait till we land on dry ground in Europe, or are sure we're done trying.  But to those waiting for the secret formula, we've done lots of meticulous tests on the ground and many in the air to perfect our design, and still this kind of system doesn't have a simple recipe.  After crossing 90% of the Atlantic, we are left with more unknown variables than we ever thought possible in the beginning.  I think amateurs can master small ZP flight, but I believe it will require a lot more ground tests and more sensors on the balloon envelope itself to truly understand what is going on with the balloon envelope itself.

                      Thanks,
                      Dan Bowen
                      UTARC / Spirit of Knoxville

                    • nss@mwt.net
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
                        Just a note of a test we've been running up here.

                        Like Dan we too may try this year, if things get better financially here
                        for me.

                        But our design we too want to keep secret till we make it across also, but
                        it is very different than any other projects the rest long flight gang
                        here has tried.

                        The heart was,, or i should say IS still a latex balloon.

                        I know everyone says it'l rott too soon,, Man I know that what
                        everyone says, even the maker of the balloons,, but i beg to differ..

                        I have balloon shards from our first flight of 20 years ago,, it's yes
                        badly discolored,, it's turing Pink of all colors, but it is still tough
                        as hell! You can stretch it like crazy,, or make a bubble and squeeze it
                        till it's almost transparant, and it still won't pop.

                        And a test that is into it's 6th week,

                        I have a 5/8ths wave vert made from alunmum fencing wire tethered out
                        back, hung by a ta 300.

                        it's gone through some nasty winds and snow storms, but right now it'sa
                        still flying up there,, kinda fun too! this weekend will be the 6th week
                        it's been airborne.

                        soo,,,

                        Ok, Rodger,, are you on this list? I've been e mailing you for a week or
                        so and no bounce but no reply either..

                      • ccccrnr@aim.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 15, 2009
                          Dan,

                          balloon data gathered by NASA should be in the NASA lighter-than-air library in Virginia (i think).
                          It is open to all American Citizens.  Since US tax payers paid for the data they have access to it.

                          I've met some of these scientist.  They live this stuff and would like to see it go somewhere useful other than the library shelf.

                          Some Military info is not public but it is extremely dated and most everything has been repeated by NASA or others.
                          No it isn't on wikiapedia but then foreign enemies could us it if it was.

                          There are commercial balloon companies out there, and most of their starting info came from the NASA Library.
                          But what they develop themselves usually is related to the niche market they chase not what hobbyist chase.

                          Good to hear from you Dan.  Tell everyone in Knoxville hi for me.

                          Sincerely,
                          Carlton Corbitt

                          Yes, no day/night transitions would sure be nice!  That's of course what limits our amateur ZP flights.  Have to drop a lot of ballast at sunset.  Our SNOX series had enough battery power to last 5 days, but the system had to drop all 6lbs of ballast on the first sunset.  Amateurs need more data publicized on this subject, ZP balloons on multi-day flights don't need to be million-dollar missions, we did 5 of them for about $400 a mission, with $200 polyethylene 920 cu ft ZP balloons from Global Western, and hf transmitter/ flight computer made by our team WA4ADG, KJ4Z and K2VOL.  Now with FindMeSpot, you don't even have to use a worldwide network of hf tracking stations as we did, though telemetry won't go over findmespot.  We intend to release our data for others to learn from, though we'll probably wait till we land on dry ground in Europe, or are sure we're done trying.  But to those waiting for the secret formula, we've done lots of meticulous tests on the ground and many in the air to perfect our design, and still this kind of system doesn't have a simple recipe.  After crossing 90% of the Atlantic, we are left with more unknown variables than we ever thought possible in the beginning.  I think amateurs can master small ZP flight, but I believe it will require a lot more ground tests and more sensors on the balloon envelope itself to truly understand what is going on with the balloon envelope itself.       < br>