Re: [GPSL] Lithium Ion Charger

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 8, 2008
      Schematic contains this info:

      I've thought a little more about Mike's (KD7LMO) comments regarding chargers and did some more research.  There are some older parts out there that provide under/overvolt protection, charge timeout, etc., and are in PDIP packages.  There are a couple of TI parts that look promising, with relatively easy-to-find discretes making up the rest of the circuit.

      Mike W5VSI - any cost figures on a 2-n cell-balancing charger?  EOSS may be able to amortize such a beast compared to Energizer lithium purchases, but I don't think I can.  :)

      73 de Mark N9XTN

      On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Mike Manes <mrmanes@...> wrote:
      A parts list with reference designators, part numbers and values would
      be helpful.

      73 de Mike W5VSI

      Mike Manes    mrmanes@...     Tel: 303-979-4899

         mailto:GPSL-digest@yahoogroups.com
         mailto:GPSL-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 8, 2008

        I didn't mean 'amortize' in the proper sense, but whether it would save enough money to justify the cost of the unit and batteries, plus time to assemble and test the packs.  I was also expecting a charger cost of closer to $200, too.

        Is this the unit EOSS has?  http://www.all-battery.com/micro-controlledli-poli-ionbalancechargerwlcddisplay.aspx

        I figured it'd pay for EOSS since you have many more flights and power-hungry doodads than I do (if it didn't make financial sense, you probably wouldn't have bought it!).

        Are the details on your Li-ion packs posted on the EOSS site, esp. wiring and cell type?

        As much fun as kits and PCBs are, a unit like this is hard to beat for the price and capability.

        73 de Mark N9XTN

        On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 11:56 PM, Mike Manes <mrmanes@...> wrote:
        Hi Mark,

        On EOSS-132 flown last weekend, we replaced the 11 LiSO2 cells those payloads used to consume with Li-ion. At last buy, those primary cells would have cost
        us $22.  The 1 to 4 cell balancing charger from All Battery cost $75 - and
        is expected to support 500 such flights before the Li-ions need replacement.

        You run the numbers.  And that doesn't take into account the effort to replace
        and dispose of the used primary cells.

        EOSS is a non-profit, so we don't amortize such assets; they're booked at cost
        for their useful life.

        73 de Mike W5VSI

         http://shdesigns.org/lionchg.html

           Mike Manes    mrmanes@... <mailto:mrmanes@...>     Tel:

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 8, 2008
          Hi Mark,

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 9, 2008
            I can type that in.  The parts designation are those from the schemtic.  So in a pinch, you can use the schematic for the parts list and placement.

            It sounds like there isn't going to be a interest in the charger PCBs?
            Paul

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 22, 2008
              Hi Mark,

              No, the one I got was in a grey case and cost just $75, otherwise it looks
              the same.

              BTW, I did post a review of the one I got, griping about the
              Chinklish user manual and its lack of detail about some apparent "undocumented
              features", e.g., differing behavior between short and long pushes of the
              start/stop button. Another user wrote back, complaining about the one
              shown in your link, the white one, saying it didn't balance and terminated
              charge well before the cells hit 4.20v. So in that light and the much
              greater price of All Battery's current offering, I'd recommend looking
              elsewhere.

              I'm quite happy with the performance of my "grey" version, however.

              73 de Mike W5VSI