RE: [GPSL] Re: Fw: GPS18LVC altitude freeze at 60kft

  • Earl Foster
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 29, 2008
      I haven't been able to get any more responses from the OEM support team so I am glad someone else has made better progress.  In light of the new information I have swapped out my GPS18xLVC with a GPS15. The GPS15 use 3.3VDC so I ended up using one of my own hitchhiker boards to make a new PCB tonight.

      Launch is scheduled for Sunday morning at 6:30AM.

      73s
      Earl
      www.hapb.net

      To: GPSL@yahoogroups.com
      From: w0jrt@...
      Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 19:09:24 +0000
      Subject: [GPSL] Re: Fw: GPS18LVC altitude freeze at 60kft

      I've discussed this issue with the development team. They've been
      able to reproduce the problem with a GPS simulator and are looking
      into it.

      -Jerome

      --- In GPSL@yahoogroups. com, "Ralph Wallio, W0RPK" <W0RPK@...> wrote:

      > It appears we need to get past Garmin's product support department
      with this problem. Anyone who
      > has internal Garmin contacts please respond here and then bring all
      this to Garmin's attention at a
      > level that is prepared to understand the problem.

      Talk to your Yahoo! Friends via Windows Live Messenger. Find Out How
    • Harry M
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2 2:15 PM
        Anyone have any more info on the GPS 18/18X? Those of you that have the 18X, what's the part number on the unit?

        On gpscity.com there is a note under "Garmin OEM18 LVC Part Number Update:" that reads...
        "This item was formally part number 010-00321-06. When Garmin upgraded the unit to become RoHS compliant, the part number was changed to 010-00321-56"

        I see no reference on the Garmin site to the change in part number. I do howerver see a software update/download for v2.70. I wonder if this will work on the 18X?

        72 Harry
      • w0jrt
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2 2:57 PM
          That note is correct: 010-00321-06 and 010-00321-56 are both a GPS18
          LVC, but the -56 is RoHS compliant.

          The GPS18x LVC is part number 010-00321-36.

          The software for the two models is different. The latest version of
          software for the GPS18 is 3.20. The latest version of software for the
          GPS18x is 2.70.

          -Jerome, W0JRT

          --- In GPSL@yahoogroups.com, "Harry M" <hhm_74115@...> wrote:

          > Anyone have any more info on the GPS 18/18X? Those of you that have
          the 18X, what's the part number on the unit?

          > On gpscity.com there is a note under "Garmin OEM18 LVC Part Number
          Update:" that reads...
          > "This item was formally part number 010-00321-06. When Garmin
          upgraded the unit to become RoHS compliant, the part number was
          changed to 010-00321-56"

          > I see no reference on the Garmin site to the change in part number.
          I do howerver see a software update/download for v2.70. I wonder if
          this will work on the 18X?

          > 72 Harry

        • Earl Foster
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2 3:45 PM
            Any more information on the altitude question with the GPS18x?

            To: GPSL@yahoogroups.com
            From: w0jrt@...
            Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 21:57:15 +0000

            That note is correct: 010-00321-06 and 010-00321-56 are both a GPS18
            LVC, but the -56 is RoHS compliant.

            The GPS18x LVC is part number 010-00321-36.

            The software for the two models is different. The latest version of
            software for the GPS18 is 3.20. The latest version of software for the
            GPS18x is 2.70.

            -Jerome, W0JRT

            --- In GPSL@yahoogroups. com, "Harry M" <hhm_74115@. ..> wrote:

            > Anyone have any more info on the GPS 18/18X? Those of you that have
            the 18X, what's the part number on the unit?

            > On gpscity.com there is a note under "Garmin OEM18 LVC Part Number
            Update:" that reads...
            > "This item was formally part number 010-00321-06. When Garmin
            upgraded the unit to become RoHS compliant, the part number was
            changed to 010-00321-56"

            > I see no reference on the Garmin site to the change in part number.
            I do howerver see a software update/download for v2.70. I wonder if
            this will work on the 18X?

            > 72 Harry

            Get ideas on sharing photos from people like you. Find new ways to share. Get Ideas Here!
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5 6:27 PM
              if / whe  this up-date is made available  will someone stuff it in a folder on the group site?

              Joe

              w0jrt wrote:
              I received an e-mail today saying that they have a fix for this and it
              should appear in the next software update.  They didn't say when that
              will be so we'll just have to keep an eye on the web site.

              --- In GPSL@yahoogroups.com, Earl Foster <ebf306@...> wrote:

              Any more information on the altitude question with the GPS18x?

                  mailto:GPSL-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:GPSL-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • Earl Foster
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5 8:01 PM
                Cool. When the update is available, if somene else has posted it, I will post it to our yahoo group site.  Thanks for the update and to Garmin.  Our high altitude ballooning is such a specialized field that it warrents Kuidos to Garmin.

                Thanks for the update.

                To: GPSL@yahoogroups.com
                From: w0jrt@...
                Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 01:14:39 +0000

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 25 10:07 AM
                  I was checking the Garmin website today and noticed that the GPS18LVC is for sale again.  They took it off the discontinued list.

                  From: ebf306@...
                  To: gpsl@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: RE: [GPSL] Re: Fw: GPS18LVC altitude freeze at 60kft
                  Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 22:01:42 -0500