HAPB3 Flight

  • Earl Foster
    Message 1 of 7 , May 12 4:37 PM
      Today was a successful day with my HAPB-3 launch.  There were several moments of excitement during the descent when it looked like it was going to land in the middle of the Richland Creek Reservoir.  That fact that it was traveling east at 100 miles an hour for ~20,000 feet pushed HAPB beyond the body of water.  Just when we thought we were clear a 30 mph NW wind pushed HAPB to the edge of the reservoir - SPLASH DOWN!  Park rangers and a nearby fisherman helped retrieve the payload.

      Max Altitude: 103,274 feet

      Images are available: http://www.hapb.net/HAPB3_files/images/index.htm

      Still working on the in-flight data and video.  I should have it uploaded in a couple of days.

      73s
      Earl - KE5HDN

      Get Free (PRODUCT) RED™ Emoticons, Winks and Display Pics. Check it out!
    • Brek Brixius

        Message 3 of 7 , May 14 7:21 PM
          Excellent pix, especially the "splash down"! What measures were taken
          to keep the camera dry?

          73 de Mike W5VSI, EOSS

          Brek Brixius wrote:
          > Nice job Earl! Love the photos.
          >
          > Brek - KC0YOE
          >
          > */Earl Foster <ebf306@...>/* wrote:
          >
          > Today was a successful day with my HAPB-3 launch. There
          > were several moments of excitement during the descent when it looked
          > like it was going to land in the middle of the Richland Creek
          > Reservoir. That fact that it was traveling east at 100 miles an
          > hour for ~20,000 feet pushed HAPB beyond the body of water. Just
          > when we thought we were clear a 30 mph NW wind pushed HAPB to the
          > edge of the reservoir - SPLASH DOWN! Park rangers and a nearby
          > fisherman helped retrieve the payload.
          >
          > Max Altitude: 103,274 feet
          >
          > Images are available:
          > http://www.hapb.net/HAPB3_files/images/index.htm
          > <http://www.hapb.net/HAPB3_files/images/index.htm>
          >
          > Still working on the in-flight data and video. I should have it
          > uploaded in a couple of days.
          >
          > 73s
          > Earl - KE5HDN

          > Get Free (PRODUCT) RED™ Emoticons, Winks and Display Pics. Check it
          > out!
          > <http://joinred.spaces.live.com/?ocid=TXT_HMTG_prodredemoticons_052008>

          > it now.
          > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

        • Earl Foster
          Message 4 of 7 , May 14 8:37 PM
            Mike,
            Thanks, I am very pleased with the outcome of this flight and the pictures and video.

            The capsule is a Styrofoam cooler with walls 1.5 inches think and a wide base so it is naturally buoyant.  The video lens hole is located 4.5 " up from the bottom and the camera lens hole is 6" up from the bottom.  It landed flush on its bottom in a fairly calm body of water so that made the difference.  I designed the 3 tier electronic housing structure with the heaviest items at the bottom so when it was installed inside the capsule the center of mass would be near the bottom but even that sits about 2 inches up from the bottom.  I would like to think it was because of my design but it was probably just dumb luck.

            73s
            Earl - KE5HDN
            www.hapb.net

            > To: gofly2007@...; ebf306@...
            > CC: GPSL@yahoogroups.com; EOSS_Private@yahoogroups.com
            > From: mrmanes@...
            > Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 19:21:10 -0700
            > Subject: Re: [GPSL] HAPB3 Flight
            >
            > Excellent pix, especially the "splash down"! What measures were taken
            > to keep the camera dry?
            >
            > 73 de Mike W5VSI, EOSS
            >
            > Brek Brixius wrote:
            > > Nice job Earl! Love the photos.
            > >
            > > Brek - KC0YOE
            > >
            > > */Earl Foster <ebf306@...>/* wrote:
            > >
            > > Today was a successful day with my HAPB-3 launch. There
            > > were several moments of excitement during the descent when it looked
            > > like it was going to land in the middle of the Richland Creek
            > > Reservoir. That fact that it was traveling east at 100 miles an
            > > hour for ~20,000 feet pushed HAPB beyond the body of water. Just
            > > when we thought we were clear a 30 mph NW wind pushed HAPB to the
            > > edge of the reservoir - SPLASH DOWN! Park rangers and a nearby
            > > fisherman helped retrieve the payload.
            > >
            > > Max Altitude: 103,274 feet
            > >
            > > Images are available:
            > > http://www.hapb.net/HAPB3_files/images/index.htm
            > > <http://www.hapb.net/HAPB3_files/images/index.htm>
            > >
            > > Still working on the in-flight data and video. I should have it
            > > uploaded in a couple of days.
            > >
            > > 73s
            > > Earl - KE5HDN

            > > Get Free (PRODUCT) RED™ Emoticons, Winks and Display Pics. Check it
            > > out!
            > > <http://joinred.spaces.live.com/?ocid=TXT_HMTG_prodredemoticons_052008>

            > > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try
            > > it now.
            > > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ
            > > >

            > --
            > Mike Manes mrmanes@... Tel: 303-979-4899
            > "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not more so."
            > A. Einstein

            > <*> Your email settings:
            > Individual Email | Traditional
            >
            > <*> To change settings online go to:
            > (Yahoo! ID required)
            >
            > <*> To change settings via email:
            > mailto:GPSL-digest@yahoogroups.com
            > mailto:GPSL-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            With Windows Live for mobile, your contacts travel with you. Connect on the go.
            Message 5 of 7 , May 15 5:47 PM
              Hi Earl,

              I was wondering if you'd put any glazing, e.g. acrylic film, over the
              camera view ports. From lack of water drops in the image, I assume not.
              So, yeah, maybe lucky, then?

              BTW, roughly where do you launch from? Out here in CO, any body of water
              that size would be called The Ocean :=P.

              73 de Mike W5VSI, EOSS