BASE 21 - 1 March brief report

  • BASE
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2008
      Dear all,

      BASE 21 was a successful flight. Back-up computer
      issues and predawn assembly at 0 Celsius delayed the
      launch until 11:15 UTC. Steady climb at about 1500
      ft/min, burst at 95,000 feet ASL and landing in
      southeastern Jennings County. Despite fast flight,
      tracking vehicle kept 900 MHz signal throughout flight
      until system reached 2500 feet ASL. Recovered signal
      as we approached the last known location.

      Two troubles:

      1) intermittent APRS radio beacon, I suspect a power
      supply wire connection issue. Schedule called for
      position report every 2 minutes with BASE-21 DePauw on
      every fourth transmit. This clearly did not happen.
      Last points (e.g., aprs.fi/w9yj-11) are at the landing
      site.

      2) Entire system caught in two trees in small grove
      approximately 30 meters above ground.

      Retrieval delayed until next week. For those keeping
      score, we're 21 for 21 with two lake landings and
      seven in trees above 30 feet.

      Howard

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs