'expensive' 'power hungry'

  • K. Mark Caviezel
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2008
      Re: Flashing visible light
      beacon Posted by: "Ralph Wallio,
      W0RPK" W0RPK@...
      Sun Feb 3, 2008 6:54 am (PST)
      Flashing lights of any sort can be used on
      Part-101 EXEMPT flights because they are not required.

      Required flashing beacons for NON-EXEMPT flights
      -must- be FAA certified devices (read 'expensive'
      and 'power hungry').

      Ralph: You forgot to mention 'heavy' as well!
      FWIW, I am in the process of getting a white and red
      LED light set certified for manned use. Current
      lights used for manned balloons use incandescent bulbs
      and are power hogs. I was absolutely stunned to hear
      a man (FAA certified balloon repair station and seller
      of such a device under STC) recommend unscrewing the
      continuously lit bulb from the light set he sells,
      because the power consumption is too high with it on.

      In the gas balloon events, flights of over 48 hours
      are common, so a power miserly light set will be an
      advantage.

      - Mark ng0x