Thermometers

  • Pete Lilja
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 20, 2007
      OK, it's winter and I'm not flying but still planning of my first HAB flight.  In reading several HAB web site often references are made to the temperature both inside and outside the payload box.  What type of thermometer is used to do this?  Is it incorporated in to the APRS packet?  Stored and retrieved after the flight?

      Thanks,

      Pete
      KCØGPB
    • PAUL VERHAGE
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 20, 2007
        NearSys uses a LM335 temperature sensor and ADC.  On BalloonSats, it's a Hobo data logger or BalloonSat Flight computer with a LM335.

        Today the data is stored onboard and retrieved after the mission.  The early flights sent data like that over APRS, but it lead to a massive APRS log that had to be cleaned up before the useful data was available.

        Paul

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 20, 2007
          Hi Pete,

          EOSS's KPC-3-based APRS modules use the analog telemetry frames to downlink
          interior and outside air temps using the LM335 sensors. Telemetry gets
          parsed and logged in real time by Nick Hank's (N0LP) ground station software.

          The LM335 does suffer from some self-heating errors, especially in the thin
          air up there. This is evident in the much lower temperatures logged
          during descent, when airflow is much faster, compared to ascent at the
          same altitudes.

          We've used the sudden drop in air temp as a secondary indication of burst,
          back when GPS was less than 100% reliable.

          The self-heating problem could be cured by gating the bias current on only
          during measurement samples, but that's not easy with the KPC-3. It could
          be done using an asynchronous external analog sample/hold circuit that
          runs at least as often as the telemetry downlink. Or using any of the
          newer pea-power temp transducers.

          73 de Mike W5VSI

          Pete Lilja wrote:
          > OK, it's winter and I'm not flying but still planning of my first HAB
          > flight. In reading several HAB web site often references are made to
          > the temperature both inside and outside the payload box. What type of
          > thermometer is used to do this? Is it incorporated in to the APRS
          > packet? Stored and retrieved after the flight?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Pete
          > KCØGPB

        • John C Nordlie
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 20, 2007
            The group at UND uses National Semiconductor LM335Z sensors, connected to
            a logger (usually a Basic stamp II through an analog to digital
            converter).

          • mconner1@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 20, 2007
              NSTAR uses a combination of two things:

              1) LM335's run through an A/D converter, which is formatted to APRS telemetry format and transmitted once per minute. It's also stored at more frequent intervals onboard.

              2) Dallas Semiconductor "Thermochrons", which is a self-powered temp sensor with internal clock and memory. About the size of 5-6 dimes stacked on one another. Looks like a big mercury battery. You can program them ahead of time for stop/start/interval, then place them in your payload.

              This supplier claims to have them in stock - in the past, they have been difficult to find. Backorders tend to take forever.
              http://www.embeddeddatasystems.com/page/EDS/CTGY/TCTC

              You will also need the reader unit, and there is free Windows software for programming the buttons and downloading the data (Embedded Data Systems appears to sell the software, but it should be available free from http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/ibutton/software/tmex/index.cfm ).

              73 de Mark N9XTN
              www.nstar.org
            • Dan Bowen
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 21, 2007
                We (UTARC) use DS1820 / DS18S20 / DS18B20 digital sensors, they are the size of a transistor, and give very precise output.  We have tested them down to -60C using dry ice, though their rating only goes to about -50.  They use a 1-wire interface, and are parasite powered, which means they get their power from the data line.  They are also addressable, which means you can attach more than one to a single data and ground line.

                Here's a snippet of code to read the DS18B20:

                I can't recall which of the three versions is currently available, but if you have trouble using that code, just email me, there's just a slight change to make for the B or S models.

                73,
                Dan
                K2VOL
                UTARC

                On Dec 20, 2007, at 3:30 PM, Pete Lilja wrote:

                OK, it's winter and I'm not flying but still planning of my first HAB flight.  In reading several HAB web site often references are made to the temperature both inside and outside the payload box.  What type of thermometer is used to do this?  Is it incorporated in to the APRS packet?  Stored and retrieved after the flight?

                Thanks,

                Pete
                KCØGPB

                Dan Bowen

                Program Manager
                UTARC Experimental High Altitude Balloon Program
                University of Tennessee Amateur Radio Club
                Knoxville, TN

              • Dan Wietchy
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 27, 2008
                  Hello;

                  Although I understand that many of the balloon launches use either TinyTrak, Kam TNC (3+) or another independent radio modem, I'm curious what hardware and especially what software the ground stations are using to receive the balloon telemetry (Lat/Long/Altitude) information.

                  Are most folks using UI view for data reception?

                  thanks

                  Dan KL1JP

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 27, 2008

                    Many are indeed using UI-View for plotting APRS reports from a balloon.  I'm still using APRS+SA mostly due to inertia, although I do like the program very much even though development has pretty much stopped and the last compatible map database is about 6 yrs old now.

                    If you want just simple data reception (lines on a screen), a terminal program connected to your TNC will work.

                    I think the majority of users are using a TNC like a KPC-3 for hardware, which I also use.  I use a TH-D7 as a backup and as a way to check the payload transmissions before launch without running back to the laptop in the car.  There are quite a few who chase with just a TH-D7 or TM-D700 and no laptop.

                    73 de Mark N9XTN

                    www.nstar.org

                  • rahammond@charter.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 27, 2008
                      Hi Dan,

                      I can't speak for everyone, but we use UI-View 32 for all of our ground stations.
                      I have been playing with TrackPoint written by Nick Hanks N0LP from the EOSS group.

                      Rog KC0MWM
                      CNNSP

                      ---- Dan Wietchy <powellite52@...> wrote:
                      > Hello;
                      >
                      > Although I understand that many of the balloon launches use either TinyTrak, Kam TNC (3+) or another independent radio modem, I'm curious what hardware and especially what software the ground stations are using to receive the balloon telemetry (Lat/Long/Altitude) information.
                      >
                      > Are most folks using UI view for data reception?
                      >
                      > thanks
                      >
                      > Dan KL1JP
                      >

                      > ---------------------------------
                      > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.
                    • Dan Wietchy
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 27, 2008
                        Thanks for the information. A few additional questions if I may?

                        Although I've got a Kantronics 3+ connected and it seems to be working correctly... after all - it seems to connect to the transmitting radio/TNC, I see nothing on the screen when using Hyperterminal other than the regular default connection info from the Kan (ie... the autobaud rate * communication, etc...).

                        Is there some command I need to send the Kantronics to throw it into Text reception mode so I can review and save exactly what the transmitting radio/TNC is sending?  I'm fairly new to Kantronics so pardon my ignorance.

                        Also, when using the Kenwood TH-D7for receiving, I was under the impression that it only stored the last 18 data strings? How are you or others saving a continual stream of data from the TH-D7?

                        Thanks again

                        Dan KL1JP

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 27, 2008
                          Hi Dan,

                          If all you are seeing is the autobaud "*" prompt, then it's waiting for
                          you to hit the "*" key so it can sync to your terminal's baud rate.
                          It may take several keystrokes before it syncs in - and then you'll
                          see the normal power-up screen showing 3 lines of text. Next step is
                          to set MYCALL - the callsign plus SSID for your payload. If the Li
                          batt on the KCP-3+ is good (<2.5V), then it will power up with the
                          power-up intro lines every time.

                          I've standardized on 4800 baud 8 data, 1 stop, no parity for all of
                          my serial devices. This is also pretty much standard for NMEA data
                          from GPS engines. 9600 can work, but I've found it to be less immune
                          to RF than 4800, and lower baud rates are noticeably slow.

                          My usual advice at this point is to find a comfy spot away from the
                          keyboard to browse thru Kantronic's excellent manual to learn what to
                          expect from the TNC and where to look to find out how to make it happen.
                          "If all else fails, read the book."

                          Now Hyperterm is kinda buggy - half the time I use it, I have to tweak
                          around with COM: ports and other settings. There are much better
                          terminal programs out there, and I think UI-View has a fair to middlin'
                          terminal mode screen.

                          73 de Mike W5VSI, EOSS

                        • Kent Ochs
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 27, 2008
                            Dan,

                            I highly recommend UIVIEW 32 with Precision Mapping software.  We use it connected to a Kenwood D700 with a Garmin GPS-18 attached.  It does take a little work to get everything configured correctly.  After that,  it is so simple that a Caveman and my 10 year old son can use it.  My apologies if there are any Cavemen in the group.

                            73's

                            Kent Ochs
                            W9KAO

                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 28, 2008

                              > Although I've got a Kantronics 3+ connected and it seems to be
                              > working correctly... after all - it seems to connect to the
                              > transmitting radio/TNC, I see nothing on the screen when using
                              > Hyperterminal other than the regular default connection info from
                              > the Kan (ie... the autobaud rate * communication, etc...).

                              Are you getting past the autobaud setup and able to send commands to the TNC?  If not, you may have a communication issue between your computer and the TNC.

                              > Is there some command I need to send the Kantronics to throw it
                              > into Text reception mode so I can review and save exactly what the
                              > transmitting radio/TNC is sending?  I'm fairly new to Kantronics
                              > so pardon my ignorance.

                              No, the data will just appear on the screen when it's received.  You will probably want to save the incoming data to a log file (Transfer|Capture Text.. menu in HyperTerm).

                              > Also, when using the Kenwood TH-D7for receiving, I was under the
                              > impression that it only stored the last 18 data strings? How are
                              > you or others saving a continual stream of data from the TH-D7?

                              You can connect a computer to the TH-D7 or TM-D700 and have it function similar to a regular TNC/radio combo.

                              73 de Mark N9XTN

                            • Dan Wietchy
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 28, 2008
                                Thanks.
                                I had to issue the following to the Kam3+
                                MA ON   hit a CR
                                and then type in    MCOM ON  hit a CR

                                then it went into the correct mode.
                                Dan