Re: [GPSL] Correction 14 balloons in the air

  • PAUL VERHAGE
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2007
      Video recordings I've made from near space flights show the sound levels gradually decreasing.  At 100,000 feet it's nearly silent.  The burst can be heard followed by the howl of air as the capsules descend.

      Where are you located?  There are probably a balloon group nearby.  GPSL will be held in KC this year.  Perhaps you could attend that.

      Paul

      >>> "Pete Lilja" <plilja@...> 11/5/2007 8:08 AM >>>
      Sounds great to me!  How about this Saturday?  Just kidding.  It's just that this past Saturday was my first chance to even listen in on a balloon flight and I heard 3 different balloons.  I'm sort of excited about this stuff.

      I was again watching the incredible video from the flight linked at the bottom of the page here:  http://www.depauw.edu/acad/physics/base/pages/BASE18.asp with the volume turned up.  I noticed what I'd call a 'rubbing' sound of probably suspensions lines and quick links.  Then the balloon bursts with no sound but more mechanical sounds becomes audible during PBC.  Is there not enough air to transmit sound at 100,000'?  Are any sounds conducted only through solid material at that altitude?  I'm curious and surprised.

      Pete
      KCØGPB

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2007
        Dear Pete,

        I'm afraid that my editing of the BASE 18 burst
        segment somehow lost the sound of the burst. I can
        hear it in the original uncut video. The video
        segment from BASE 16, where the camera was three times
        closer to the balloon clearly has the sound of the
        burst in the online version. (Watch
        http://www.depauw.edu/acad/physics/base/images/base16BalloonBurst.wmv
        )

        The literature claims that audible sounds are carried
        through the air to altitudes of about 80 km or 400,000
        feet.

        Much of the sound is mechanically induced by the
        tie-wrapped connection of the camera to the styrofoam
        box.

        I'll attempt to re-edit the clip for the BASE 18 burst
        to accurately convey the audio signal.

        Howard

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2007
          Heck, every EOSS launch is just another field day -- rise at zero-dark-30,
          drive a fully loaded vehicle out to the boonies somewhere, set up antennas,
          stations, power, logs, etc and prep, fill and launch. Then do some hammin'.
          After LOS at ground station, tear down, pack up, drive back and unload.
          Maybe grab lunch at local greasy spoon with the teams on the way.

          Problem with balloon QSOs is that they're via repeaters, which don't count
          towards FD score. Folks working FD are probably gonna concentrate on
          making max score and thus wouldn't likely waste time with balloon QSOs.
          In fact, EOSS always schedules flight AROUND FD, since it depletes our
          operational teams!

          73 de Mike W5VSI