Re: GPSL 2003

    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 4, 2003
      Hi Mike,

      Any of those topics are likely to be of interest to the group. Since
      only two folks have stepped up so far with presentations, I'm
      reluctant to set a time limit on any single presentation, however.
      But I sure don't want to drag the Friday session out too late, since
      the launch site is about 80 miles from Boulder, and I hope to get the
      launch off by 0900 Saturday.

      BTW, I expect ANSR to be operating one of the three CU Workshop flight
      strings. You'll have about 5 lb weight budget for your own beacons.
      How much He should we have on hand for ya?

      Re the ROA:
      I filed for a waiver with FAA Seattle for the EOSS-66 / U Ky Big Blue
      glider, since it weighs in at about 15#. I got a call back from
      a Gordy Burnet, who cited a 1999 ruling from FAA brass related to
      flights of ROAs (formerly UAVs) in civil airspace. Among the reqmts
      are an altitude-reporting transponder, navigation lights & strobe,
      and full hemisphere visualization and real-time control by the
      ground operator for VFR collision avoidance. Ref FAA Notice N 7610.71.
      These requirements are reasonable for a USAF "Predator", but off the
      wall for a 15# model aeroplane. The rule of unintended consequences?

      Now, if you can keep your glider under 6 lb, you won't face the FAA
      scrutiny, but that doesn't change the fact that the rule is in place,
      regardless of FAR-101.

      We're still negotiating with Seattle, but the best we might hope for
      would be a parachute descent below 60K'.

      73 de Mike W5VSI

      Michael Gray wrote:

      > Mike,
      >
      > The glider sounds good. We should fly in the next couple of weeks. The
      > flight would have been a week ago, but we lost some flight hardware, so I
      > had to regroup a little.
      >
      > Other topics might include; (1) Micro Beacon II design. 2" x 3" complete
      > APRS system and (2) In flight landing prediction (< 0.5 miles from
      > 100,000'). I have also produced a 15 minute DVD that shows all about
      > balloon flights. It might be a good way to start the proceedings.
      >
      > I haven't heard of the anything on the FAA concerns from Seattle. Although
      > I figured it would only be a matter of time before the terrorists win and
      > we loose. After a few balloon flights, I'd like to fly a cross band
      > repeater UAV that could loiter for a couple days. A couple gallons of jet
      > A and a light aircraft can fly a long time.
      >
      > Thanks for organizing everything. Jack and I will attend.
      >
      > At 04:19 PM 04/03/2003 -0700, you wrote:
      > >Hi Mike,
      > >
      > >Well, as I mentioned to Paul, the agenda is forming as folks step
      > >forward with material they'd like to present. So far, we have
      > >Paul's bit on his Traveler flights, and I'm hoping that Russ KB0TVJ
      > >will talk about the new FAA reporting feature on findu.com. I could
      > >do a show & tell on some of our new payloads, e.g. the despun ATV.
      > >EOSS could also cover some of the more interesting flights we'll have
      > >flown since the last GPSL, e.g GAINS and Big Blue.
      > >
      > >I'd think that the group would be eager to learn more about your
      > >glider and how you've been dealing with FAA Seattle's concerns
      > >related to the "Predator" ROA requirements.
      > >
      > >Incidentally, I'm not real certain who's on this reflector right now,
      > >and how many others balloon groups plan to attend the conference and/or
      > >the flight. Ralph Wallio does plan on a cameo appearance, however;
      > >perhaps he can be persuaded to delight us further!
      > >
      > >Mike Manes W5VSI
      > >
      > >Michael Gray wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Mike,
      > >>
      > >> Just wondered what topics were open for presentation at GPSL 2003 and if
      > >> there was anything you would like us to present on?
      > >>
      > >> 73s
      > >
      > >--
      > >Mike Manes manes@... Tel: 303-979-4899
      > >"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not more so." A.
      > >Einstein

      Einstein
    • Michael Gray
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 5, 2003
        Mike,

        I'll step forward and offer the following presentations, but feel free to
        alter them to suit the schedule and group.

        Introduction
        I have a 15 minute edited DVD that shows all aspects of high altitude
        ballooning. We use it as a general introduction to ballooning. It might
        make a good opening to the proceedings for those who may not be familiar
        with our hobby.

        Session 1 - Topics in Electronics and Software (45-60 minutes)
        A. In-flight landing prediction (we typically get an estimate of < 0.5
        miles at 100,000')
        B. Compact-light weight APRS Beacon design
        C. IRLP/cross band repeaters
        D. SSTV from the 70s revisited in digital

        Session 2 - NSRV (Near Space Return Vehicle) (45-60 minutes)
        A. Flight data from powered UAV
        B. Control systems and electronics
        C. Flight data from balloon flight (we will fly before June)

        I've given the presentations a number of times, so I can change the length
        to suit your schedule.

        Thanks for the FAA information. I am working the issue at our end.
        Hopefully we'll have a better outcome. A parachute descent from 60,000'
        doesn't really do us much good.

        73s de Michael Gray, ANSR

      • paul.verhage@boiseschools.org
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 6, 2003
          > Well, as I mentioned to Paul, the agenda is forming as folks step
          > forward with material they'd like to present. So far, we have
          > Paul's bit on his Traveler flights,

          Explorer flights.

          Paul
        • Gene Harlan
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 6, 2003
            Paul,

            I am putting together the Spring issue of ATVQ. Do you want to give me more
            details of GPSL 2003 to publish. Otherwise, I will publish what little I
            have. I need it by next Friday at the latest.

            Gene Harlan - WB9MMM
            Name Tags by Gene
            Harlan Technologies - publishers of:
            Amateur Television Quarterly
            ATVQ@...
            http://www.hampubs.com

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 6, 2003
              Thanks, Russ. Sounds like an interesting conference session is
              forming up. How much time do you think you'll need?

              BTW, you might consider getting on the GPSL reflector - it's another
              yahoogroups service.

              73 de Mike W5VSI

              Russ Chadwick wrote:

              > Mike,
              >
              > I'll be happy to present the FAA Balloon Report web page at GPSL.
              >
              > Russ KB0TVJ

              Einstein
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 6, 2003
                Hi Mike,

                You might want to consider the background of the audience in putting
                your presentations together. SO far, I don't have a complete roster
                of attendees (at least I >hope< I don't!) - but it'll be EOSS types,
                Paul V. of TVNSP, Ralph W. and the ANSR team. Not sure how I can
                solicit for more balloon group attendees, but some have already bailed.

                Good luck with that FAA issue. I'll be in a teleconference tomorrow
                with FAA and U Ky to nail down the details. In the meantime, you may
                want to dredge thru the FAA sites looking for FAA Order 7610.4, which
                is the parent document to notice I mentioned earlier.

                Either that, or engage in weight reduction program! To that end, I've
                coined a new acronym as a cousin to KISS: KILL, for Keep It Light,
                Lunkhead! (You heard it here first -- :=}

                73 de Mike W5VSI

                Michael Gray wrote:

> [...]
                > >> had to regroup a little.
                > >>
                > >> Other topics might include; (1) Micro Beacon II design. 2" x 3" complete
                > >> APRS system and (2) In flight landing prediction (< 0.5 miles from
                > >> 100,000'). I have also produced a 15 minute DVD that shows all about
                > >> balloon flights. It might be a good way to start the proceedings.
                > >>
                > >> I haven't heard of the anything on the FAA concerns from Seattle. Although
                > >> I figured it would only be a matter of time before the terrorists win and
                > >> we loose. After a few balloon flights, I'd like to fly a cross band
                > >> repeater UAV that could loiter for a couple days. A couple gallons of jet
                > >> A and a light aircraft can fly a long time.
                > >>
                > >> Thanks for organizing everything. Jack and I will attend.

                > >--
                > >Mike Manes manes@... Tel: 303-979-4899
                > >"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not more so." A.

                Einstein
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 6, 2003
                  Sorry Paul. I did go back thru the 3800+ msgs in the Inbox to
                  find ur topic, but gave up. Explorer it is! Thanks.

                  We have some EOSS folks lining up lodging venues, and CU has offered
                  their rate walking distance from the campus GPSL venue for $69/nite
                  for single or double. There's cheaper farther out I'm sure, but this
                  ain't bad for Boulder.

                  So far, we have TVNSP, ANSR, EOSS and Raplh Wallio aboard and
                  presenting.
                  Any suggestions re how to promote GPSL 2003 more widely? I know you
                  did a great job on this for GPSL 2002. I'm not on all the balloon
                  reflectors, but on enough to make a nuisance of myself with duplicates.

                  73 de Mike
                  W5VSI

                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 7, 2003
                    I'm not running this year's GPSL, it's EOSS's turn. I'll pass the
                    word on to Mike Manes.

                    We are hosting a Northwest Super Launch (NWSL) for Memorial
                    Day weekeend, here in southwestern Idaho. If anyone is interested
                    in attending, please ask them to email me. The details are still be
                    worked out.

                    Thanks,
                    Paul

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 7, 2003
                      Here's mike email address. I just emailed him asking him to email
                      you info.

                      Paul

                      manes@...
                    • paul.verhage@boiseschools.org
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 7, 2003
                        > We have some EOSS folks lining up lodging venues, and CU has offered
                        > their rate walking distance from the campus GPSL venue for $69/nite
                        > for single or double. There's cheaper farther out I'm sure, but this
                        > ain't bad for Boulder.

                        There's a KOA about an hour east that I'll camp at.

                        > Any suggestions re how to promote GPSL 2003 more widely? I know you
                        > did a great job on this for GPSL 2002. I'm not on all the balloon
                        > reflectors, but on enough to make a nuisance of myself with duplicates.

                        Gene Harlan is very interested to know about GPSL and will
                        publish info on it. He'll need info by Friday. Can we get something
                        in QST? Isn't there a ARRL audio message that goes out once a
                        week? I'll see if anyone here can tell me about it. Perhaps we can
                        put a message out there and on the ARRL webpage. AMSAT also
                        has a page reserved for ballooning.

                        We had problems last year getting the word out and any
                        advertisement. I tried contacting Gordon Wset of Nuts and Volts
                        magazine. He expressed some interest, but never showed up or
                        wrote anything. It might be a good idea to try him again.

                        I'll keep thinking about this.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 8, 2003
                          Hi Gene,

                          Hey! Thanks for the generous offer! I assume that this will be
                          published
                          in the "coming events" section?

                          Here's what I know - may be no more than what you already have:

                          Great Plains Super Launch 2003 - the 3rd annual convocation of ham
                          radio high altitude balloon groups. This year's GPSL is sponsored
                          by Edge of Space Sciences <www.eoss.org> and will be held in
                          conjunction with the University of Colorado Space Grant College
                          BalloonSat Workshop.

                          The GPSL Conference will be held on the campus of U. Colo from 10AM
                          to 5PM on Friday, June 14, 2003. The conference program is just
                          now coming together, but will include presentations on the TVNSP
                          Explorer balloon payloads, the latest developments at ANSR and
                          the newly-developed FAA position reporting feature based on I-gated
                          APRS beacons. The specific conference room is TBD but will be posted
                          on www.eoss.org in a few weeks. A dinner will be held afterwards at
                          a nearby eatery.

                          Early Saturday AM, June 15, the GPSL crews will head east on I-70 to
                          the town of Deer Trail CO, where they will prepare to launch at
                          least three balloons carrying small experimental packages, or
                          "BalloonSats", designed and built by the 50-odd CU Workshop attendees
                          from NASA Space Grant Colleges from all over the US. Balloon teams
                          from EOSS, TVNSP and ANSR will conduct the launch, tracking and
                          recovery operations, using their own APRS and DF tracking beacons.

                          If the Saturday winds or weather are unsuitable, the launches will be
                          postponed to Sunday 16 June.

                          All interested amateurs are warmly invited to attend this exciting
                          event. Check www.eoss.org for the latest GPSL information.

                          73 de Mike W5VSI

                          Gene Harlan wrote:

                          > Paul,
                          >
                          > I am putting together the Spring issue of ATVQ. Do you want to give me more
                          > details of GPSL 2003 to publish. Otherwise, I will publish what little I
                          > have. I need it by next Friday at the latest.
                          >
                          > Gene Harlan - WB9MMM
                          > Name Tags by Gene
                          > Harlan Technologies - publishers of:
                          > Amateur Television Quarterly
                          > ATVQ@...
                          > http://www.hampubs.com

                          Einstein
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 10, 2003
                            Hi Paul,

                            Not sure who's on this GPSL reflector, but I've posted a couple of
                            general inquiries, and Ralph, TVNSP, ANSR and EOSS are the only ones
                            who have confirmed their intent to join us.

                            So .... who did I miss?

                            Re QST et al: I did get Gene something for ATVQ, and Ralph has genrously
                            offered to post the word to his rather thorough list of reflectors.
                            Not sure how to get something in QST, but Jeff Ryan K0RM, the Colo
                            ARLL SM and a valued supporter of EOSS's activities in Colo Springs,
                            may have some ideas.

                            OK on the KOA. You make me feel like a real homebody - but my ol'
                            bod's just not up to a good snooze in anthing but a comfy bed :=|.

                            Thanks!
                            de Mike W5VSI

                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 11, 2003
                              The only one I can think of is HABITAT. NSTAR will be occupied
                              with fatherly duties and NSBG is not active. Have you heard from
                              Bill Brown? There was also that group from Texas that came up
                              last year.

                              Paul

                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 12, 2003
                                Hi Paul,

                                I think I heard from Harry Mueller of ORB that he has other plans,
                                but don't have contact info for the N. Tx crew. Do you? And no
                                word from Bill Brown, but he may pop up in response to Ralph's
                                excellent and wide-spread email announcement. Thanks, Ralph!

                                FOr Ralph: since no one's yet expressed a preference from your
                                copious menu of presentations, then why don't you pick the one
                                you most enjoy presenting? After all, we do this for recreation,
                                don't we?

                                73 de Mike W5VSI

                                paul.verhage@... wrote:

                                > The only one I can think of is HABITAT. NSTAR will be occupied
                                > with fatherly duties and NSBG is not active. Have you heard from
                                > Bill Brown? There was also that group from Texas that came up
                                > last year.
                                >
                                > Paul
                                >
                                > > Hi Paul,
                                > >
                                > > Not sure who's on this GPSL reflector, but I've posted a couple of
                                > > general inquiries, and Ralph, TVNSP, ANSR and EOSS are the only ones
                                > > who have confirmed their intent to join us.
                                > >
                                > > So .... who did I miss?
                                > >
                                > > Re QST et al: I did get Gene something for ATVQ, and Ralph has genrously
                                > > offered to post the word to his rather thorough list of reflectors.
                                > > Not sure how to get something in QST, but Jeff Ryan K0RM, the Colo
                                > > ARLL SM and a valued supporter of EOSS's activities in Colo Springs,
                                > > may have some ideas.
                                > >
                                > > OK on the KOA. You make me feel like a real homebody - but my ol'
                                > > bod's just not up to a good snooze in anthing but a comfy bed :=|.
                                > >
                                > > Thanks!
                                > > de Mike W5VSI

                                > > > There's a KOA about an hour east that I'll camp at.

                                > > > Gene Harlan is very interested to know about GPSL and will
                                > > > publish info on it. He'll need info by Friday. Can we get something
                                > > > in QST? Isn't there a ARRL audio message that goes out once a
                                > > > week? I'll see if anyone here can tell me about it. Perhaps we can
                                > > > put a message out there and on the ARRL webpage. AMSAT also
                                > > > has a page reserved for ballooning.
                                > > >
                                > > > We had problems last year getting the word out and any
                                > > > advertisement. I tried contacting Gordon Wset of Nuts and Volts
                                > > > magazine. He expressed some interest, but never showed up or
                                > > > wrote anything. It might be a good idea to try him again.
                                > > >
                                > > > I'll keep thinking about this.
                                > > >
                                > > > Paul

                                > > --
                                > > Mike Manes manes@... Tel: 303-979-4899
                                > > "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not more so." A.
                                > > Einstein

                                Einstein
                              • Doug Eubanks
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 12, 2003
                                  Mike,

                                  The group from N. Texas was Jerome and Bobette Doerrie, K5IS and N5IS.
                                  They are from Booker, which is a hop skip and jump from the OK border in the NE corner of the TX panhandle.
                                  Bet they would be real interested in attending.
                                  Looks like Jerome's e-mail address is k5is@...

                                  Doug, KAØO

                                  paul.verhage@... wrote:

                                  > The only one I can think of is HABITAT.  NSTAR will be occupied
                                  > with fatherly duties and NSBG is not active.  Have you heard from
                                  > Bill Brown?  There was also that group from Texas that came up
                                  > last year.
                                  >
                                  > Paul
                                  >
                                  > > Hi Paul,
                                  > >
                                  > > Not sure who's on this GPSL reflector, but I've posted a couple of
                                  > > general inquiries, and Ralph, TVNSP, ANSR and EOSS are the only ones
                                  > > who have confirmed their intent to join us.
                                  > >
                                  > > So .... who did I miss?
                                  > >
                                  > > Re QST et al: I did get Gene something for ATVQ, and Ralph has genrously
                                  > > offered to post the word to his rather thorough list of reflectors.
                                  > > Not sure how to get something in QST, but Jeff Ryan K0RM, the Colo
                                  > > ARLL SM and a valued supporter of EOSS's activities in Colo Springs,
                                  > > may have some ideas.
                                  > >
                                  > > OK on the KOA.  You make me feel like a real homebody - but my ol'
                                  > > bod's just not up to a good snooze in anthing but a comfy bed :=|.
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks!
                                  > > de Mike W5VSI

                                  > > > There's a KOA about an hour east that I'll camp at.

                                  > > > Gene Harlan is very interested to know about GPSL and will
                                  > > > publish info on it.  He'll need info by Friday.  Can we get something
                                  > > > in QST?  Isn't there a ARRL audio message that goes out once a
                                  > > > week?  I'll see if anyone here can tell me about it.  Perhaps we can
                                  > > > put a message out there and on the ARRL webpage.  AMSAT also
                                  > > > has a page reserved for ballooning.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > We had problems last year getting the word out and any
                                  > > > advertisement.  I tried contacting Gordon Wset of Nuts and Volts
                                  > > > magazine.  He expressed some interest, but never showed up or
                                  > > > wrote anything.  It might be a good idea to try him again.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I'll keep thinking about this.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Paul

                                  > > --
                                  > > Mike Manes    manes@...     Tel: 303-979-4899
                                  > > "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not more so."  A.
                                  > > Einstein

                                  Mike Manes    manes@...     Tel: 303-979-4899
                                  "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not more so."  A.
                                  Einstein

                                • Harry M
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 13, 2003
                                    Just confirming that I will not be able to be at GPSL.
                                    Wish I could change plans. I had a great time last year!

                                    Harry
                                    KC5TRB

                                    -------------------------------------
                                    Amateur Radio, not just a hobby
                                    -- it's an adventure
                                    -------------------------------------

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 14, 2003
                                      > I think I heard from Harry Mueller of ORB that he has other plans,
                                      > but don't have contact info for the N. Tx crew. Do you? And no
                                      > word from Bill Brown, but he may pop up in response to Ralph's
                                      > excellent and wide-spread email announcement. Thanks, Ralph!

                                      I'll look around and see what I have.
                                      Paul
                                    • Ralph Wallio, W0RPK
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 14, 2003
                                        I have sent the announcement to all GPSL2002 attendees including the folks
                                        from N. Texas. Bill Brown has responded and will be with us. -w0rpk

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 16, 2003
                                          Thanks, Doug. And will you be attending this year?

                                          I've added Jerome to this reply. So ..... Jerome and Bobette, can we
                                          expect to see you guys again this year? We may need more of your
                                          able assistance if we land across a power line again.

                                          73 de Mike W5VSI
                                          EOSS, sponsor for GPSL '03 in Boulder CO 13-15 Jun.

                                          Einstein
                                        • Doug Eubanks
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 17, 2003
                                            I would like to, but at this stage of the game, it looks like I will be staying home and helping Mark with the NSTAR launch here.

                                            Doug

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 17, 2003
                                              Thanks, Ralph. Your valuable assistance has already paid dividends!

                                              73 de Mike W5VSI