Re: [KNSP] mystery object

  • Pete Lilja
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2007
      I'm planning to use a Beeline 70cm GPS transmitter in my first balloon flight. http://www.bigredbee.com/BeeLineGPS.htm  I have the unit as I hope to also use it in another hobby of launching high powered rockets.

      I've built a 1/4 wave antenna - nothing fancy, simply a plan from an ARRL book using an SO-239 cabinet connector.  I've ground tested it with a Beeline RDF transmitter to about three miles and still had a good signal.  Beyond that the terrain and the trees got in the way.  My problem is that I'm in realtively flat Iowa and can't  think of a good way to get some real, quality range testing short of an actual balloon flight.  Any ideas?

      I'd really rather not risk my transmiiters and cameras on a HAB flight without testing the antenna.

      Thanks,

      Pete
      KCØGPB
    • PAUL VERHAGE
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2007
        Try flying with someone else's balloon.  That would give you a test with a proven back up tracker.

        Paul

        >>> "Pete Lilja" <plilja@...> 9/5/2007 7:37 AM >>>
        I'm planning to use a Beeline 70cm GPS transmitter in my first balloon flight. http://www.bigredbee.com/BeeLineGPS.htm  I have the unit as I hope to also use it in another hobby of launching high powered rockets.

        I've built a 1/4 wave antenna - nothing fancy, simply a plan from an ARRL book using an SO-239 cabinet connector.  I've ground tested it with a Beeline RDF transmitter to about three miles and still had a good signal.  Beyond that the terrain and the trees got in the way.  My problem is that I'm in realtively flat Iowa and can't  think of a good way to get some real, quality range testing short of an actual balloon flight.  Any ideas?

        I'd really rather not risk my transmiiters and cameras on a HAB flight without testing the antenna.

        Thanks,

        Pete
        KCØGPB
      • Brek Brixius
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2007
          Fly the Beeline on a nice big kite. :)  That is my suggestion.  Be sure to use some good strong line (like dacron).  Also pick a nice stable kite (not a stunter).  Delta-Conyne are decent lifters and pretty stable.

          Unless you get a very big kite you probably won't be able to lift the entire package but the beeline is pretty light if I remember right.  I fly a 7 foot Delta-Conyne that carries a light digital camera.  I would probably look at something in the 9 foot range for the Beeline (depending on your antenna).

          I don't know if there would be a problem with building up a charge on such a flight.  I have heard something about kite lifted antenna building up static. You might want to look here: http://www.wireservices.com/n9zrt/live-wire/events/marconi/kitefaq.html
          for advice.  I would think that if you limit airflow around the antenna (like mount it behind the kite - it might help reduce the static buildup).  Just a guess there though. Study up before you try anything.

          Keep us informed about how the beeline performs.  It is a very interesting device.

          Good luck
          Brek - KC0YOE

          PAUL VERHAGE <paul.verhage@...> wrote:
          Try flying with someone else's balloon. That would give you a test with a proven back up tracker.

          Paul

          >>> "Pete Lilja" 9/5/2007 7:37 AM >>>

          I'm planning to use a Beeline 70cm GPS transmitter in my first balloon flight. http://www.bigredbee.com/BeeLineGPS.htm I have the unit as I hope to also use it in another hobby of launching high powered rockets.

          I've built a 1/4 wave antenna - nothing fancy, simply a plan from an ARRL book using an SO-239 cabinet connector. I've ground tested it with a Beeline RDF transmitter to about three miles and still had a good signal. Beyond that the terrain and the trees got in the way. My problem is that I'm in realtively flat Iowa and can't think of a good way to get some real, quality range testing short of an actual balloon flight. Any ideas?

          I'd really rather not risk my transmiiters and cameras on a HAB flight without testing the antenna.

          Thanks,

          Pete
          KCØGPB

          Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.