GPSL 2008 Workshop ideas

  • wb8elk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2007
      Those dates will work for me as well....I can also do some Workshop sessions as well....Sounds like a good use of the extra day if there's enough interest in doing this.

      Some topics that come to mind that I could help with and I'm sure there would be others who can volunteer for some of these ideas:

      - Bringing Near Space to the classroom (experiment ideas and electronic sensors - how to get schools involved)....can range from elementary to college level).

      - Balloon Tracking 101:
         (Hands-on DF demo and Foxhunt - build your own low power tracking beacon)
         (How to setup and use various APRS programs for balloons)
         (Flight Path prediction how-to: Balloon Track, HYSPLIT, Web-Based Balloon Track, calculating helium fill for ascent rate and parachute calcs for descent rate)
      - Payload enclosure design and techniques: (how to build foam-core, attachment and flight train techniques...mechanical considerations - enclosure ideas)

      - Power systems for Balloons: (Battery technologies, how to calculate power budget, wiring methods and techniques.)

      - Using Zigbee and other low power RF systems for interpayload communications....to include using 900 MHz spread spectrum radios for high-speed data with the ground station and how to set them up.

      - Long Duration ballooning how-to: Solar, Zero-pressure and Super-pressure design considerations and how to calculate performance. How-to build your own balloon.

      - ATV systems and setup....payload design and hands-on ground station design.

    • Robert Rochte
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2007
        Count me in for the Long Duration workshop if it materializes....  Would be happy to discuss both solar and my recent superpressure designs.

        73,
        Robert

        On 9/4/07, wb8elk@... <wb8elk@...> wrote:
[...]

        Robert Rochte, Director of Technology
        The Grosse Pointe Academy
        +1 313-886-1221 x155 Office
        +1 313-378-0525 Mobile
      • Keith Kaiser
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2007
          These are great ideas Bill and I'm taking notes, so keep 'em coming.

          On 9/4/07, wb8elk@... < wb8elk@...> wrote:

[...]

          YIS/YIV/73's!
          Keith D Kaiser
          nearspaceventures.com