Re: [GPSL] GPSL 2008 Dates

  • Brek Brixius
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2007
      Sounds fine.

      Brek - KC0YOE

      Keith Kaiser <keith.kaiser@...> wrote:
      As most of you know by now Near Space Ventures and CAPnSPACE will be hosting the 2008 GPSL conference here in Kansas City, MO. Tentatively we scheduled it for later than the traditional 4th of July weekend by almost a month moving it to July 31 - Aug 3, which is actually one day longer than usual.

      My question to you today is if this is OK, or if not what dates work out better for you, and if so give me some kind of reading on how important those dates are? I will collect the dates sent me and then post a survey on our GPSL Yahoo page and let you guys choose when to hold next years conference. I would like to hear from as many individuals as possible, this conference is for each of us, the groups just support our launches. It might seem we are starting this process a bit early but the sooner we all know for sure the easier it should be to clear our calendars for the event.

      The extra day was an idea I had for an optional day for static displays by groups and vendors (Garmin, NOAA, FAA, etc.), I've not talked to anyone yet but thought it sounded like a good idea. Let me know what you think.

      nearspaceventures. com/gpsl2008/

      --
      YIS/YIV/73's!
      Keith D Kaiser

      Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

    • Roger Hammond
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
        Message
        My only preference to the holiday weekend is due to my lovely bride, Arlene, KC0ZWX having limited vacation time with her current employer.
        We'll do our best to be there no matter what the date.

        Rog KCØMWM

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
          I like the idea of an extra day.  My class is talking about holding their reunion on either the last weekend in July, or the first weekend in August.

          On the other hand, a non-holiday weekend generally works best for Jon.

          Zack

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
            Those dates actually work a lot better for me - I'll be attending in 2008 as a result.

            73,
            Robert  KC8UCH

            --
            Robert Rochte, Director of Technology
            The Grosse Pointe Academy
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
              GPSL'ers,

              I had quite a few responses to the question about when to hold GPSL in
              2008. Only one individual had an alternate date idea (Jul 4-5-6), but
              several commented they liked the proposed dates for a number of
              different reasons. So with all that said, we are going to lock in July
              31, to August 3, 2008 as the official dates for GPSL 2008.

              The extra day did generate a few comments but mostly they centered
              around what we will do with the extra time. The number one concern
              being that we didn't just use the extra day to spread out what we
              already do. At this point Thursday, July 31 is tentatively to be used
              as a static display and workshop day. We hope to have displays from
              NOAA, FAA, CAP, NASA, Garmin, and others, if you have a display or
              workshop you would like to propose or do yourself please let me know.
              If you have other ideas about Thursday and I can think of a bunch, let
              me know that too.

              Proposed:
              July 31 -- Static Displays, Workshops, astronomy night?
              Aug 01 -- Conference presentations, flight briefing
              Aug 02 -- Launch, recovery, debrief
              Aug 03 -- Weather Date, departure

              Location is our next assignment, now that the dates are locked it will
              be much easier for us to find the host site for the event. Please
              visit nearspaceventures.com/gpsl2008/ from time to time and watch your
              e-Mail for updates on this and other details about next year.

              If you would like to help with GPSL 2008 in almost any capacity,
              please contact me and I'll put you to work....trust me.

              Our goals for 2008 are lofty, as they should be given what we do
              (launch high altitude balloons) and we are going to work hard to make
              this the best GPSL ever. This is a tall order, given that year after
              year the quality of the conference has gotten better and better, and
              last years was such a run-away success it will be doubly hard to beat.
              So aim high, stay in touch, keep an eye on the web site, put the dates
              on your calendar and grab hold of something....we're about to take you
              20 miles up.

              Kansas City or Burst!

              --
              YIS/YIV/73's!
              Keith D Kaiser
              Director, Near Space Ventures
              nearspaceventures.com
              bsaroundtable.com
              kaiserklan.com
            • PAUL VERHAGE
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                I would be interested in doing a BalloonSat workshop.

                Paul

                    mailto:GPSL-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    mailto:GPSL-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com