KML files from balloon posits

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      I was playing with ArcMap and some of my log data from NSTAR 07-B and
      I was reminded that I should check into creation of KML files from my
      log data for 3D visualization.

      I have positions every 2-3 seconds for the entire flight, so it's a
      pretty high-resolution track. Does anyone have any bits of code or
      (preferably) executables that will take position data in some form and
      generate KML out the other end? I looked at the KML file someone
      (Rick?) generated for EOSS-120 and it's pretty extensive.

      Anything that would keep me from doing this by hand would be helpful. :)

      73 de Mark N9XTN
    • Mike Cochran
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
        Google maps API has a really good tutorial for creating KML/KMZ and xml files to import into google maps and google earth.  Actually this tutorial should also apply to just about any type of GIS or mapping system, but uses google maps and it's example program.  This link:  http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/  is that documentation.

        To do it as an xml file is pretty easy (at least for imbedding a google map into a web page and importing the xml file).  The basics of how it works is this:  <point lat=' your latitude here' lng='your longitude here' /> the do a map.addOverlay(point) in your javascript function.  This isnt something that does it automatically as an executable, you'll have to write it all out by hand, so this is not answering your question at all is it?  Are you a linux or windows user?  I've found that once you get comfortable with one markup language (html, xml, kml,...) the rest come easily.

        Here's something that would be pretty cool to do.  If you had an APRS system in your balloon, you could process the data on a laptop in real time and use AJAX to update a map of you current position and track as compared to the balloon's current position and track.  It seems like I've seen something like that before on the internet, but if someone out there in the group is good with web design that would be a good community-maintained open source project.  I'm still working on learning this kind of stuff, but if a few people would be interested in giving this project a try, I would contribute to the best of my abilities.  from KC0TMA Mike
      • Patterson, David
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
          Mark:

          I'd suggest looking into GPS Babel (www.gpsbabel.org). I know that it has a custom style conversion feature, so even if your data isn't in one of the many supported formats, you should be able to run a successful conversion. I've been using this little app to do 3d viz for TU's HARP flights for several months (converting from DeLorme's otherwise incomprehensible *.gpl files), and couldn't be happier with the results.

          Hope it helps!

          - David Patterson, KB9QLS
          dvpatterson@...
          "If passion drives you,
          let reason hold the reins."
          ~Benjamin Franklin

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
            Balloon Track can do this. However, you need to first run the data
            file through the program in simulation mode. BT will create an ascii
            delimited file of the APRS data. You can then go to the file menu on
            the main program screen and select [File/Convert] and point the
            dialog to the ascii delimited file (called Flight_Data_xxxxx.csv").
            If you are putting out data every few seconds I would suggest you not
            open up the Flight Analysis screen, or if you do, immediately disable
            charting. The VB charting engine is totally lame and boggs down
            incredibly once you have a few hundred records in it. But, you don't
            need to do this in any case. Just run the log through the simulation
            mode on the Packet Terminal screen and then do that Convert thing and
            you should be good to go.

            Rick

            On Aug 1, 2007, at 9:24 PM, Mark Conner wrote:

            > Hi everyone,
            >
            > I was playing with ArcMap and some of my log data from NSTAR 07-B and
            > I was reminded that I should check into creation of KML files from my
            > log data for 3D visualization.
            >
            > I have positions every 2-3 seconds for the entire flight, so it's a
            > pretty high-resolution track. Does anyone have any bits of code or
            > (preferably) executables that will take position data in some form and
            > generate KML out the other end? I looked at the KML file someone
            > (Rick?) generated for EOSS-120 and it's pretty extensive.
            >
            > Anything that would keep me from doing this by hand would be
            > helpful. :)
            >
            > 73 de Mark N9XTN
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • PAUL VERHAGE
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
              I wrote an article on Google Earth last year that you might want to look at.

              I use a spreadsheet to format the GPS reports and then save it as a comma delimited file. The text file is then copied and pasted into a sample KML file. All I have to do then is adjust the lookat point.

              Paul