weather, wind, etc.

  • K. Mark Caviezel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2007
      Posted by: "Pete Lilja" plilja@...
      bigheadpete1
      Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:18 am (PST)
      Being new to HAB I am curious as to weather / wind
      predictions favorable to high altitude flights.

      The surface winds at launch are by far the most
      important factor as they can destroy a partially
      filled balloon before it can be launched. Strong
      shears at altitude have been said to tear apart big
      plastic bag balloons, I'm not sure that any premature
      failures of the near-spherical latex balloons have
      been linked to that. Regardless of macroscopic surface
      winds situation, a good fill and launch can often be
      made out of a natural depression, a tree-lined field,
      canyon if the surface winds are across and not down
      the canyon. Hot air balloon pilots call these sort of
      launch sites 'sucker holes,' as the inexperienced hot
      air balloon pilots will launch with an unwarranted
      sense of confidence in the impending flight. I
      recommend use of toy latex balloons as pilot balloons
      or 'pi-balls' to visualize the ascent trajectory. If
      the pi-ball hits a powerline or structure, that's a
      good indication that the larger balloon with payloads
      will, too.

      - Mark Caviezel ng0x