Fw: [tvnsp] GPSL 2003

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10, 2003
      Note the proposed location and dates for GPSL 2003.  Send your comments to Paul.

      Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 08:48
      Subject: [tvnsp] GPSL 2003

      Mike of EOSS is trying to line up GPSL in conjuction with another
      activity with the Colorado Space Grant.  If this goes through, then
      GPSL 2003 will be held in the Denver area on 21 June.  I need to
      get an idea of how many people think they can attend this.  GPSL
      2003 should be another two day event, with Friday set aside as a
      symposium and launches on Saturday morning.  I'd like to line up
      crews to help with the launch and recovery, so a few people need
      to bring their mobile trackers.

      Speak up!

      Thanks,

    • Don Pfister
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 10, 2003
        One thing that comes to my mind is "GPSL" stands for "Great Plains Super Launch"
        is west of the Colorado plains still part of the "Great Plains"? Just a
        question.

        I've heard from some local groups that they will not be able to make that trip
        to CO. There was some discussion about local groups launching near here, at the
        same time as the western groups, and trying a link experiment or something.

        After the western support last year, to make GPSL 2002 a great success, I will
        offer my support the best I can.

        73 de Don KA0JLF

        Isn't Paul on these lists?

        Mark Conner wrote:

        > Note the proposed location and dates for GPSL 2003. Send your comments to
        > Paul. 73 de Mark N9XTN

        [Signature File]
        Name=Don Pfister KA0JLF
      • paul.verhage@boiseschools.org
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 10, 2003
          > Isn't Paul on these lists?

          I'm here.

          If GPSL 2003 is held in Colorado, EOSS will sponsor it. If it's held
          in Kansas, then I'll sponsor it.

          At last year's GPSL, Mike Manes of EOSS asked about having
          them sponsor GPSL this year. I was a little hesitant at first, but at
          some time your children need to leave home.

          Besides, I should be able to get more TVNSP support if it's in
          Colorado.

          Paul
        • mgray@ess-us.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 10, 2003
            ANSR will be able to attend the Colorado based GPSL 2003. Colorado is a
            little easier because it is near a major airport vs. 2.5 hour drive. It
            is also less humid and they have Star Bucks. :) I'd also vote for the
            symposium. It makes it a little easier to justify the trip.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 10, 2003
              If the winds are strong enough, it'll be the "Great Plains Super
              Landing" instead.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 10, 2003
                Marty's message to EOSS made me think of this.

                Do we want to add contests to GPSL?
                Perhaps highest flight or closest predicted landing.

                Paul
              • Don Pfister
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 18, 2003
                  Ok, I sit corrected. ;-) I was thinking the suggested site was West of Denver.

                  I did mention the plains extend to Eastern CO, I just didn't remember how far west
                  Eastern CO went. ;-) I guess we were both right, just that I was thinking farther
                  West. What is that old saying "you don't have to understand something to argue about
                  it"? :-) I didn't mean to argue.

                  As I recall (sitting here on my brains and not checking again) - it has been several
                  years - Denver could be considered the 'High Plains', the mountains don't really start
                  until you get a few miles west. ;-)

                  I will have to get a map out, I keep reading about Deer Trail but don't remember
                  seeing that.

                  Yes a landing in the mountains concerns me too - but what can you expect I'm a
                  flatlander again. ;-)

                  I hope to make it but it's still a ways off. The date concerns me, the earlier
                  mentioned date might have been doable (time wise) but the newer date is going to
                  conflict with a previous commitment I'm afraid. I have two riders after me to crew for
                  them during this years RAAM 2003
                  (http://raceacrossamerica.org/raam2003/raam2003main.htm there is a link on my HABITAT
                  SkyLab page to a photo of me at the starting area for RAAM 2002). It is scheduled for
                  June 15 to June 27. My local friend Byron is going to ride as one of a 2 man team. My
                  Italian friend Fabio is riding as a solo. I crewed for both of them last year. I
                  started with Fabio - when he dropped I joined Byron's crew team.

                  In between I got to spend about 3 days in the beautiful Aspen, CO area. ;-)

                  Byron, had agreed to get me to Denver for GPSL 2003 - flying me from the East Coast to
                  Denver. However, that would leave me with out a balloon or equipment (which could be
                  overcome). The plan is to be in San Diego on Sunday the 15th to watch (and support)
                  the Solo riders start. I guess this might work - fly to Denver for GPSL then fly from
                  Denver to San Diego for the start of RAAM (I might even get to see my nephews family -
                  he just got back from deployment in the P. gulf). I'll check with people. ;-) Since I
                  will be using my mobile APRS stuff for RAAM too - I'll have it all with me. Hmm... If
                  none of the rest of my crew can make it, this would make me a solo and possibly no
                  wheels. Probably more trouble than it is worth. We'll see.

                  Thanks for the Geography lesson (and corrections) Mike! I appreciate it.

                  I'll see what we can do. I can't commit 100% either way. Please keep me updated on
                  plans.

                  Don

                  --

                  [Signature File]
                  Name=Don Pfister KA0JLF

                  Founder of HABITAT SkyLab soon to add SeaLab (underwater robotics)
                  (High Altitude Basic Investigation Testing And Tracking)
                  email: habitat@...
                  http://habitat.netlab.org
                  http://www.netlab.org:8888/ Visit the Lab in the Hobby wing.
                • Don Pfister
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 18, 2003
                    Good thing I asked for clarification. ;-)

                    Actually, I just wanted you all to know another HABITAT SkyLab team member just passed
                    his Technician Test this morning. Charles "Charlie" Callahan should get his license
                    issued around next Thursday (according to the VEs giving his test).

                    Welcome to HAM RADIO Charlie! OH he also won a door prize at the St. Joe, MO hamfest
                    (his first hamfest). ;-)

                    73 all
                    Don

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 29, 2003
                      Hi Don,

                      Well, don't sweat the bit about nbot knowing the eastern half of
                      Colo being a plain - the Visitors' Bureau doesn't advertise that part
                      much :=}. So if you win a free vacation to Club Med Hugo, CO, don't
                      bother waxing up the skis.

                      Sounds like a pretty messy itinerary. I hope maybe you can get
                      some of your HABITAT cohorts to bring out a balloon and payload, tho.
                      If not, then we'd still sure love to see you again and put you to work
                      on the launch and/or recovery crews. The Spacegrant folks might be
                      grateful for any help they can get assembing the payload strings as
                      well.

                      BTW, wot's RAAM? A balloon race?

                      73 de Mike W5VSI

                      Don Pfister wrote:

                      > Ok, I sit corrected. ;-) I was thinking the suggested site was West of Denver.
                      >
                      > I did mention the plains extend to Eastern CO, I just didn't remember how far west
                      > Eastern CO went. ;-) I guess we were both right, just that I was thinking farther
                      > West. What is that old saying "you don't have to understand something to argue about
                      > it"? :-) I didn't mean to argue.
                      >
                      > As I recall (sitting here on my brains and not checking again) - it has been several
                      > years - Denver could be considered the 'High Plains', the mountains don't really start
                      > until you get a few miles west. ;-)
                      >
                      > I will have to get a map out, I keep reading about Deer Trail but don't remember
                      > seeing that.
                      >
                      > Yes a landing in the mountains concerns me too - but what can you expect I'm a
                      > flatlander again. ;-)
                      >
                      > I hope to make it but it's still a ways off. The date concerns me, the earlier
                      > mentioned date might have been doable (time wise) but the newer date is going to
                      > conflict with a previous commitment I'm afraid. I have two riders after me to crew for
                      > them during this years RAAM 2003
                      > (http://raceacrossamerica.org/raam2003/raam2003main.htm there is a link on my HABITAT
                      > SkyLab page to a photo of me at the starting area for RAAM 2002). It is scheduled for
                      > June 15 to June 27. My local friend Byron is going to ride as one of a 2 man team. My
                      > Italian friend Fabio is riding as a solo. I crewed for both of them last year. I
                      > started with Fabio - when he dropped I joined Byron's crew team.
                      >
                      > In between I got to spend about 3 days in the beautiful Aspen, CO area. ;-)
                      >
                      > Byron, had agreed to get me to Denver for GPSL 2003 - flying me from the East Coast to
                      > Denver. However, that would leave me with out a balloon or equipment (which could be
                      > overcome). The plan is to be in San Diego on Sunday the 15th to watch (and support)
                      > the Solo riders start. I guess this might work - fly to Denver for GPSL then fly from
                      > Denver to San Diego for the start of RAAM (I might even get to see my nephews family -
                      > he just got back from deployment in the P. gulf). I'll check with people. ;-) Since I
                      > will be using my mobile APRS stuff for RAAM too - I'll have it all with me. Hmm... If
                      > none of the rest of my crew can make it, this would make me a solo and possibly no
                      > wheels. Probably more trouble than it is worth. We'll see.
                      >
                      > Thanks for the Geography lesson (and corrections) Mike! I appreciate it.
                      >
                      > I'll see what we can do. I can't commit 100% either way. Please keep me updated on
                      > plans.
                      >
                      > Don

                      Einstein