Re: [GPSL] Smoking Cutdown

  • mconner1@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 54 , Jun 5, 2007

      Mike,

      You might want to take a look at the PICAXE stuff in more detail.  Think of them as reduced-capability Stamps (but they still can do 10-bit A/D conversions, some of them do I2C comm, etc).  The 8-pin chips are only $4 and the 40-pin ones are $12.  A Basic Stamp 1 is $29.

      http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/

      http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php?cPath=51_124

      If a person is already familiar with PBasic for the Stamps, programming a PICAXE looks to be a pretty flat learning curve.  There's even a flowchart programming editor so you can do it graphically.

      I'm taking this all from the website rather than personal experience, but these look like a low-cost alternative to Stamps for simpler tasks like a cutdown.

      From: Mike Manes <manes@...>
      Date: Tuesday, June 5, 2007 11:38 am
      Subject: Re: [GPSL] Smoking Cutdown
      To: Brek Brixius KC0YOE <gofly2007@...>
      Cc: GPSL@yahoogroups.com

      Message 54 of 54 , Jun 11, 2007
        Hi Bill,

        Well, if it does, it'll be in VERY well aged beef! Just in case, suggest
        you savor your burgers carefully :=}.

        Turns out that it probably landed in a sunflower field. AA0P, my son and I
        trekked thru the one directly below where we DF-triangulated the burst (pre-
        GPS days)- it was a psychic experience being in an 8-ft deep flower bed!
        Needless to say, no joy.

        73 de Mike W5VSI

        wb8elk@... wrote:
        > Hi Mike,
        >
        > I've always wondered if my "free-fall" camera from your early flight
        > was eaten by a cow or buffalo and may someday show up again.
        >
        > - Bill WB8ELK

        > See what's free at AOL.com <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503>.

        "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not more so." A. Einstein