Re: [GPSL] Foiled Again

    Message 1 of 10 , May 31, 2007
      Emissivity of Al varies quite a bit over the IR spectrum. At long IR, it
      radiates (and absorbs) quite nicely. And common black anodized Al like
      on heatsinks actually reflects near IR (1.3 uM) like crazy!

      73 de Mike W5VSI

      PAUL VERHAGE wrote:
      > It may rip. From my experiments, black stays warmer than a silver
      > mylar. That's a bit surprising since aluminum has a low emissivity.
      >
      > Paul

      > There is an interesting item on ebay at the moment. #190117453841
      >
      > It is an old balloon module made of foil covered cardboard (according to
      > the ad.)
      >
      > The second camera package I'm putting together for GPSL 2007 - the one
      > for the BUNS balloon is a foil covered foam cooler. I have been
      > debating if I want to leave the foil on or not. It will reflect sun
      > light well. Might help in spotting it on the ground.
      >
      > Anybody had any concerns about foil on the exterior of a package?
      >
      > Brek - KC0YOE

      > Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers
      > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48252/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC>,
      > not web links.

      "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not more so." A. Einstein
    • Brek Brixius
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 3, 2007
        Thanks everyone for your comments on foil.  I have decided to leave the foil on the camera module for the BUNS balloon.  It is attached with hot glue and is not a smooth surface.  Spray glue may have worked better but the foil is already on.  It is not as nice looking as the NSS module (thanks for the photos) :)

        My foil covered camera module contains two cameras.  One of the cameras is set very deep in the foam.  I had to carve out the foam to open clear the camera's field of view.  I am hoping that the foam hole that the camera looks through will serve as sun shade enough.  I may need to add a sun shade to the other camera that does not set as deep.

        My APRS and Beacon are in a separate radio module.  Right now, the radio module is in a nice looking white foam cooler.  I am thinking about painting the radio module black in hopes of keeping it warmer.

        Thanks again to everyone.
        Brek - KC0YOE

        --
        Mike Manes manes@attglobal. net Tel: 303-979-4899
        "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not more so." A. Einstein

        Be a PS3 game guru.