Very cool image from the ISS

  • mconner1@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
      http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewImages/images.php3?img_id=17542

      At first I thought this was from a high-altitude balloon.

      73 de Mark N9XTN
    • Harry M
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007

        I wonder what the white spot is below the moon and above the earth.

        Star... Spacecraft... Balloon...???

      • mconner1@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007

          It's within the disk, so it's not a star.  Zooming in on it, it appears to be a single bright pixel spread out by the JPEG compression.  My guess is that's it's a bad pixel in the camera CCD.  I don't think the geometry/size is right to be a spacecraft or balloon.

          The only possibility would be a chance Iridium flare, but I think that would be a one-in-a-trillion shot to have it in the frame like this.

          - Mark

          > I wonder what the white spot is below the moon and above the earth.
          >
          > Star... Spacecraft... Balloon...???
          >

          > -----
          > Harry - KC5TRB - Tulsa
          > Oklahoma Research Balloons
          > http://members.cox.net/hhm_74775/orb/
          > -----

        • Harry M
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007

            > ...My guess is that's it's a bad pixel in the camera CCD.

            That's what they get for getting a cheap "resale shop" camera!

            : )

            73 Harry