2006 ARHAB Contest summary

  • Ralph Wallio, W0RPK
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
      Ref's comments below.

      Highest Altitude
      ----------------
      [1]
      117,127 16Dec06 ANSR-32
      113,074 07Jan06 VWS-3
      108,323 23May06 LaACES-04
      106,183 04Aug06 HABET L-98
      96,596 22Apr06 Explorer Post 632 2006A
      94,397 13May06 PRSGC-5

      [1] Flight disqualified by 24-notice rule:
      118,011 22Apr06 WV-4

      Longest Great Circle Distance
      -----------------------------
      552.63 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) [1]
      [2]
      178.79 04Mar06 WB8ELK HiBall-8
      162.75 17Dec06 UTARC UX-9
      155.20 23Dec06 WB8ELK HiBall-10

      [1] ANSR-33 limited from 775.31mi by 2-hour telemetry rule
      [2] GPA SD flight disqualified by web page info rule
      400.24 07Mar06 Solar Tetroon SD-9 (Grosse Pointe Academy)

      Flight Time Launch-to-Landing
      -----------------------------
      [1]
      [2]
      8:24 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) [1]
      3:58 23Dec06 WB8ELK HiBall-10
      3:04 04Mar06 WB8ELK HiBall-8

      [1] ANSR-33 limited from 17:24 by 2-hour telemetry rule
      [2] GPA SD flight disqualified by web page info rule
      12:27 07Mar06 Solar Tetroon SD-9 (Grosse Pointe Academy)

      UHF-VHF Telemetry Reception Distance
      ------------------------------------
      326.7 05Aug06 CNS-012 (GPSL2006) WØRPK
      318.0 19Nov06 FAR HORIZONS II WØRPK
      264.1 23Jul06 TABEL-4 KA8MID
      256.7 01Jul06 CNNSP-06 WØRPK
      163.8 01Apr06 CNNSP-05 WØRPK
      126.9 02Dec06 KWU/SSOK/NØOY WØRPK
      100.1 01Apr06 CIBE-LF2 WØRPK

      HF <50MHz Telemetry Reception Distance
      --------------------------------------
      2,023 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m KF4KJQ
      1,803 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m W4BGH
      1,692 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m WA8MTI
      1,620 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m KC9DOA
      1,528 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m KD7KST
      1,523 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m N9FTC/4
      1,506 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m KC9GMW
      1,478 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m KF4KJQ
      1,473 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m WB8ELK
      1,373 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m KØQVF
      1,317 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m WØRPK
      1,260 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m W7PSK
      1,211 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m KE3KZ
      1,199 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m KC5WMI
      1,147 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m WØJRT
      1,124 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m N7RGS
      1,102 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m W6OSC
      1,069 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m AC7ZG
      1,020 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m WA7QNA
      900 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m K5TAO
      854 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m K5PSB
      701 25Feb06 UTARC UX-7 CW/30m WØRPK
      134 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m WBØSMX
      134 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) PSK-31/20m KD7VRB

      Two-way QSO Distance
      --------------------
      -- No entries --

      Ref's comments:

      --- I do not recall receiving a certificate or prize for winning the >50MHz telemetry reception
      distance category in 2005 (via ORB-19). Did HABET (altitude), WB8ELK (flight distance and time),
      KF4KJQ (HF telemetry distance via ANSR-28) or KC5TRB & KA9SZX (QSO distance via HABITAT SKYLAB)
      receive anything? Telemetry and QSO honors were supposed to go to both the flight group and distant
      participants.

      --- ARHAB is both a ballooning and a communications challenge. Our contest results show interest
      in all three ballooning categories, altitude, distance and time during 2005 and 2006. They are not
      showing much interest in <50MHz telemetry reception distance (12-of-13 entries in 2005-2006 combined
      were from me) or in QSO distance (only 3 entries in 2005 and none in 2006). ANSR and UTARC were the
      only groups flying HF telemetry in 2005-2006. I haven't counted repeater/digipeater equipped
      flights (that worked AOK) but it has to be very small number.

      --- A few rules judgments could have gone the other way resulting in more flight disqualifications.
      Closer judging of recovery efforts and adherence to flight and communications regulations is too
      much work for one referee.

      --- It is not clear to me what we are accomplishing with our annual contests. Is our level of
      activity, or advancement of our state-of-the-art, or encouragement to experiment, or competitive
      camaraderie significantly enhanced by annual contests beyond the value of our all-time record
      keeping?

      TNX es 73 de Ralph Wallio, WØRPK
      W0RPK@...
      http://showcase.netins.net/web/wallio/
      Hubbert's Peak - The Mother of all Perfect Storms
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
        Hi Ralph and the rest,, Happy New Year!

        I have a few questions and comments on the below E Mail.

        Ralph Wallio, W0RPK wrote:

        >Ref's comments below.
        >

        >Highest Altitude
        >----------------
        >[1]
        >117,127 16Dec06 ANSR-32
        >113,074 07Jan06 VWS-3
        >108,323 23May06 LaACES-04
        >106,183 04Aug06 HABET L-98
        > 96,596 22Apr06 Explorer Post 632 2006A
        > 94,397 13May06 PRSGC-5
        >
        >[1] Flight disqualified by 24-notice rule:
        >118,011 22Apr06 WV-4

        What does the 24-notice rule mean?

        >Longest Great Circle Distance
        >-----------------------------
        >552.63 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) [1]
        >[2]
        >178.79 04Mar06 WB8ELK HiBall-8
        >162.75 17Dec06 UTARC UX-9
        >155.20 23Dec06 WB8ELK HiBall-10

        And what does the below mean? 2-hour telemetry rule? And web page info rule?

        >[1] ANSR-33 limited from 775.31mi by 2-hour telemetry rule
        >[2] GPA SD flight disqualified by web page info rule
        >400.24 07Mar06 Solar Tetroon SD-9 (Grosse Pointe Academy)
        >

        >Flight Time Launch-to-Landing
        >-----------------------------

        Ok, Please explain the disqualification's below of this class.
        And This one we may have the record for. Yes it was before the days of
        GPS's remember we are one of the way back in the beginning old-timers.
        But there were many, MANY witnesses of the flight, many of you
        old-timers may even remember it! for many reasons. he he he. ugh!

        It was launched at sunrise on dec 6th,, what year I honestly don't
        remember but it was precisely at 7 am,
        The payload consisted of a in band and dual band 2 meter and 440
        repeater, two meters and 440 inputs and 2 meter output.
        And clock ossc beacons on EVERY band from 160 meters to 6 meters. so
        this baby had a signal coming out from it on EVERY band from 160 to 2
        meters!
        each band had a full sized dipole, made from ribbon cable. so it was
        two packages, the upper had the two and70cm receiver, (scanner) and it
        fed the audio from the receiver along down the ribbon cable to the
        transmitter box 130 feet below! This proved to be a mistake as we found
        out later. so this whole flight train from top of balloon to end of the
        lower dipole was close to 300 feet what a incredible thing to launch! i
        was sure glad we had absolutely dead calm winds at launch time.

        Launch was un eventful. and soon people from all across the country were
        reporting the beacons. and making qso's through the repeater. This was
        before GPS's so positioning was purely by beam headings and
        triangulation. Launch site was from my home EN43xo

        All progressed well this was also before the internet too, so the 40
        meter net was up & running! we were getting reports from all over the
        midwest.

        The rate of climb seemed right on nominal parameters by the reception
        reports and the people gaining access to the repeaters. The chase teams
        were in their usual waiting positions, somewhere down range near
        Madison,WI of course. waiting for it to come down and go and get it.

        Position reports were coming in from locals as well as stations out on
        the fringes which of course were the most accurate. between all the
        stations reporting in those early days I bet we weren't too far off of
        the balloons location than we are now with the gps's. we just don't
        have altitude data.

        Anyway this thing suddenly kicks into over drive and starts zooming
        past madison on a southeast heading. the chase crews take chase, and by
        the time they reach the state line of Illinois the balloon was like out
        pacing them by a factor of two, so they gave up the chase.

        we got on the 40 meter net telling the people we have a runaway and to
        start organizing chase teams downrange. which many came out of the
        woodwork to give chase.

        Ok we are thinking what's happening here. this thing should be on the
        ground soon if not already, yet the signal is strong and steady, a old
        time tell tale that the balloon is still inflated. it's now 11 am and
        still very strong signals. and we are starting to get some weird
        interference. were are hearing some voices in the background on the two
        meter downlink!

        The two meter transmitter was locked on continuously, no cor board,
        anyway, the background voices are faint but clear. and getting
        stronger. what are they?

        Actually it sounds like two different conversations in the background.
        what in the world? They are getting stronger.

        position reports have the balloon over northeast suburbs of chicago,
        like 10 miles northwest of elgin. heading ESE.

        we ask people on the repeater to hold the traffic so we can hear the
        other voices and see if we can figure them out.

        They are getting up to about 25% deviation now and are quite easy to hear.

        WOW! I know what that is! It's both WGN and WBBM am 720 and 780,
        both are HUGE signal transmitters in the northwest suburbs of chicago.
        The LONG 130 foot un shielded audio cable between the receiver and mic
        input of the transmitter was picking up the signals I'm guessing
        somewhat like a old crystal radio set! Oh well live and learn,, next
        time a rf link between the two or at least shielded cable!

        Well at least we now knew the source of the mystery voices.

        Well it's now Noon, and well past the expected flight time. We keep
        notifying Chicago center about the flight and they say they still see
        the reflector fairly well. so that's good.

        conversations resume on the repeater. This is where we had an
        incredible QSO, the balloon was Over southeast Chicago, and a Station
        (who I do not recall or have a record of) but a station from Golden CO.
        called in, we made a QSO,, I thought WOW must be some duct or
        something that's over 900 miles from the balloon! thing is the best
        was yet to happen! about 15 minutes goes by and then a station from
        Virginia Beach VA. calls in! Holy Cow! over 700 miles away!

        Now the best part was now the Colorado station calls back in and makes a
        contact with the virginia Beach Station!!!!!! ok Direct from Golden
        to Va Beach is 1596 MILES!!!! if you take the real path co to va via
        the balloon that's 1643 MILES!!!!! How's that for a record!? Yes
        there is no proof other than our memories, is there anyone else out
        there that remembers these conversations please let us know.

        Anyway the balloon continues ese ward. And by all the position reports
        it is now crossing the IL and IN border. and continues on.

        up here in EN43 we are still hearing it but it is getting weak, and hard
        to hear we tell the 40 meter net to have someone take over for us out
        there. Someone in Michigan volunteers. and we keep tabs on the thing
        via the 40 meter net. The crazy think hugs the IN and MI border and
        almost makes it to OH, then, yes this is December,, but it starts
        coming back!

        It continues coming back, we start hearing it again from here and
        gratefully tank the MI station for taking over. we keep making
        contacts, and now WGN and WBBM start coming in again, and we expected
        this to happen again cuz it was getting close to them again.

        It's getting close to sundown, and position reports have it right over
        Elgin IL. A buddy of mine Stu WB9UNX Lived near Elgin at the time, Went
        outside to get a possible visual. And THERE IT was! almost directly
        above his head, he is also an astronomer like myself and went and got
        his telescope and tried to see it.

        Via the scope he could see the balloon,, but even through it it was
        still very small. he even took a picture of it through the scope. Then
        suddenly it vanished!

        And we saw the telltale signs of falling payload. all the flutter and
        all that.

        So the chase was on! We called Chicago center and told them it's on
        it's way, and they said they still see it, and it's going to be close.

        How close no one ever expected!

        Various FOX hunt crews from the chicago area got into the hunt. this
        runaway balloon was all the talk on 40 and from what I head on all the
        repeaters in the Chicago area. Its falling in a almost due east path.

        Many teams are in the waiting, finally up here in EN43 we loose signal
        at 6:30PM,, for us that's a 11 and half hour flight, reports have it
        landing about 20 minutes later so total flight duration 11 Hours 50
        Minutes missing the 12 hour mark by 10 minutes.

        The ground hunt was ON! problem was,, all of the triangulation reports
        were placing the downed payload inside this HUGE fenced in area, with no
        way in.

        Where was it? YIKES! it was inside OHARE! the busiest airport at the
        time in the country. We called Chicago Center and they said they saw it
        come all the ay down, and also figured that is was on the grounds. they
        made a call and had some security people meet one of the chase teams at
        agate and let only one of them in to retrieve the thing. They found it
        between two taxiways of American Airlines and Fed EX.

        they got it, and brought the wayfarer home.

        Like i said this was WAY before the internet , web pages, and GPS's,,
        but does this qualify for any records?

        And how many of you old timers remember this crazy flight?

        never did find out why it took so long for it to pop! but what a cool
        journey.

        > [1]
        >[2]
        >8:24 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) [1]
        >3:58 23Dec06 WB8ELK HiBall-10
        >3:04 04Mar06 WB8ELK HiBall-8
        >
        >[1] ANSR-33 limited from 17:24 by 2-hour telemetry rule
        >[2] GPA SD flight disqualified by web page info rule
        >12:27 07Mar06 Solar Tetroon SD-9 (Grosse Pointe Academy)
        >

        >Two-way QSO Distance
        >--------------------
        >-- No entries --

        No proof other than memories, but if anyone else can also remember the
        above story will that qualify for this incredible record?

        Joe WB9SBD
        Near Space Sciences KB9KHO

        >TNX es 73 de Ralph Wallio, WØRPK
        >W0RPK@...
        >http://showcase.netins.net/web/wallio/
        >Hubbert's Peak - The Mother of all Perfect Storms

      • Mark Garrett
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
          Joe:

          That was a wacky flight, one for sure for the new guys.  But it looks like Ralph's records are for 2006 only, not for all times.  Ralph will probably post an updated explanation of his notes.

          Mark, KA9SZX

          Ralph Wallio, W0RPK wrote:

> [...]

          journey.

          > [1]
          >[2]
          >8:24 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) [1]
          >3:58 23Dec06 WB8ELK HiBall-10
          >3:04 04Mar06 WB8ELK HiBall-8
          >
          >[1] ANSR-33 limited from 17:24 by 2-hour telemetry rule
          >[2] GPA SD flight disqualified by web page info rule
          >12:27 07Mar06 Solar Tetroon SD-9 (Grosse Pointe Academy)
          >

          >Two-way QSO Distance
          >--------------------
          >-- No entries --

          No proof other than memories, but if anyone else can also remember the
          above story will that qualify for this incredible record?

          Joe WB9SBD
          Near Space Sciences KB9KHO

          >TNX es 73 de Ralph Wallio, WØRPK
          >W0RPK@...
          >http://showcase.netins.net/web/wallio/
          >Hubbert's Peak - The Mother of all Perfect Storms

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
            Ahh,, didn't know for 2006  h h eh  duh?

            Oh well,, hey  but remember that crazy flight?  man that was a long time ago wasn't it/

            Joe

            Ralph Wallio, W0RPK wrote:

> [...]

            journey.

            > [1]
            >[2]
            >8:24 29Dec06 ANSR-33 (ES-OS ZP floater) [1]
            >3:58 23Dec06 WB8ELK HiBall-10
            >3:04 04Mar06 WB8ELK HiBall-8
            >
            >[1] ANSR-33 limited from 17:24 by 2-hour telemetry rule
            >[2] GPA SD flight disqualified by web page info rule
            >12:27 07Mar06 Solar Tetroon SD-9 (Grosse Pointe Academy)
            >

            >Two-way QSO Distance
            >--------------------
            >-- No entries --

            No proof other than memories, but if anyone else can also remember the
            above story will that qualify for this incredible record?

            Joe WB9SBD
            Near Space Sciences KB9KHO

            >TNX es 73 de Ralph Wallio, WØRPK
            >W0RPK@...
            >http://showcase.netins.net/web/wallio/
            >Hubbert's Peak - The Mother of all Perfect Storms

            No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.432 / Virus Database: 268.16.1/611 - Release Date: 12/31/2006 12:47 PM
          • Ralph Wallio, W0RPK
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
              Joe --

              2006 contest rules are at the bottom of our ARHAB Records page,
              http://showcase.netins.net/web/wallio/ARHABrecords.htm. Rules for 2007 and beyond may be different.
              Our ersatz conscripted ad hoc ARHAB august contest board will be discussing this ASAP:

              Bill Brown, WB8ELK
              Mark Conner, N9XTN
              Michael Gray, KD7LMO
              Mike Manes, W5VSI
              Harry Mueller, KC5TRB
              Stephanie Steele KC7DBA
              Paul Verhage, KD4STH
              Ralph Wallio, W0RPK

              It is important to note that these rules apply only to our annual contests. They do not apply to
              our all-time records. Required evidence of flight accomplishments from the distant past can
              submitted for our all-time records at any time. In our Records page RED is an all-time entry, BLUE
              is an annual contest entry. In a couple of weeks all the 2006 entries will turn RED so that BLUE
              can be used for our 2007 contest.

              Now your questions:

              -- What does the 24-notice rule mean?

              It means I didn't proof-read close enough. The '24-hour' rule requires flights be announced a
              minimum of 24-hours before flight. Announcement can be directly to our Balloon-Sked list and/or
              sent to me for posting in our ARHAB Launch Announcements,
              http://showcase.netins.net/web/wallio/ARHABlaunchannouncements.htm.

              -- And what does the below mean? 2-hour telemetry rule? And web page info rule?

              Telemetry has to be received and reported (not just transmitted) at no more than 2-hour intervals.
              When an interval exceeds 2-hours the flight ends for purposes of contest distance and time.

              Detailed information about a contest listed flight has to be available in an announced web page
              within 30-days after the flight.

              -- Ok, Please explain the disqualification's below of this class. [snip]

              There are two record posting possibilities in your story, flight time and any QSO distance. For
              flight time we need the date, launch and landing time and a flight name. For QSO distance we need
              QSL-card type info from both stations including their coordinates. This means you will have to dig
              up the callsigns, contact both stations for any given QSO and ask them to send me the information
              (e-mail is ok).

              This would be an all-time record entry for which the 2006 contest rules do not apply.

            • wb8elk@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
                Hi Joe,

                  I think that's the same flight of yours that I witnessed pop over Stu's house in Elgin IL while I was visiting him.

                73s de Bill WB8ELK
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
                  I didn't know you were there, It had to be it,  but i don't remember you being there.

                  sadly i have no records of any of it.  i don't even remember what year it was,  the only reason i remember the day is that it was pear harbor day.  but thats about it.

                  joe

                • mgray@ess-us.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
                    First, thanks Ralph for all the hard work in keeping track of these
                    records and posting them. Maintaining a web site is a fair amount of
                    effort. Great job!

                    The contest has been fun for ANSR this year, but we did pretty well. The
                    long duration stuff has been fun because it gets a larger number of groups
                    involved in the flights and is a challenge.

                    Happy New Year to the group