Re: Post Launch Info

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2006
      Hi Don,

      Dang! Sorry to hear you lost your payload! But if someone did pick
      it up, they might be kind enough to get it back to you. I've heard
      that some 80% of NWS radiosondes actually get mailed back by folks
      who find 'em!

      Re the GPS NMEA altitude data: I'm not familiar with the Garmin GPS18lvc,
      but the NMEA sentence you want is $GPGGA, which includes MSL altitude
      in meters, plus lat/lon, GPS time hhmmss, no. of sats in track and
      VDOP. It's really all you need for balloon tracking, although the
      $GPRMC sentence also includes GPS date yymmdd, lat/lon, rcvr status and
      course/speed - but no altitude.

      73 de Mike W5VSI, EOSS

      Arledge, Don wrote:
> [...]
      > but the location for the last know position was right in front of a deer
      > stand.
      >
      > I don't know if someone found my flight package but that's what may
      > have happened, I've yet to receive a phone call. I had my name and phone
      > number all over the flight package. Either that or its out there in the
      > heavy woods. My wife and I intend to go back after the leaves have
      > dropped to look again, visibility should be much better.
      >
      > The cable problem was solved Fri night, it turned out Kantronics and
      > Yaesu both had the schematic backwards and when mic and speaker were
      > reversed then everything started working.
      >
      > The GPS unit wasn't transmitting altitude data. I think I gave it
      > the wrong data string to transmit, If anybody knows the right command
      > please let me know.
      >
      > I was using a Kaymont 1500 gram balloon, flight package weighed 4 lbs
      > even. The balloon had about 4.8-5 pounds of lift. 4 pounds plus 20%. The
      > Balloon was released about 12:15 EDT and landed about 13:45 -14:00 EDT.
      > We got to the landing area about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours after touch down.
      >
      > If anyone wants to look at the raw data I'll email it to you I'd really
      > appreciate some help in analyzing it. I see a lot of qro and qrd
      > statements which look like I was digipeating through other ARPS devices.
      > One of the devices appears to be another balloon that belonged to Jerald
      > Peacock out of Marietta, GA. I've tried to reach him to see if he also
      > had a launch on Sat, but thus far have not been able to reach him.
      >
      > So if I don't get my package back I will rebuild and try again but
      > if that's the case my next launch will not be until April ish.
      >
      > Thus far here's what I'm out
      >
      > 1 RG-7 parachute from Rocketman enterprises $60
      > 1 Yaesu vx-170 HT $150
      > 1 Kantronics KPC3+ $180
      > 1 Garmin GPS18lvc $80
      > 1 mini tracker beacon $60
      > Cables $25
      > 3 9v lithium batteries $21
      > 1 Flight package $50 plus time invested to build it
      >
      > All total $626 not counting the balloon and the helium. But that's the
      > chance you take everytime you launch one, so I can accept that! There's
      > some good lessons learned and it was a thrill to finally launch a
      > balloon and watch it go. I've been wanting to do this for 3 years.
      >
      > So I'll take the lessons learned and start over with improvements.
      >
      > Thank you all for your encourgment, help and support!
      >
      > With highest regards,
      >
      > Don KI4QVO
      >
      > *****

      > which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
      > privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other
      > use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
      > persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If
      > you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the

      "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not more so." A. Einstein
    • yono@i2.co.id
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2006

        > Arledge, Don wrote:
        > >
        > > I don't know if someone found my flight package but that's
        > what may
        > > have happened, I've yet to receive a phone call. I had my name
        > and phone
        > > number all over the flight package.

        Maybe the addition of some dollar rewards would help? The ARSAT
        (Texas Tech ARC) balloon had $$$ rewards written all over the
        package. Never put that in use though (recovered all, even the one
        that had triple failure, lost the 915 MHz GPS serial link on descent,
        lost APRS on ascent, and no backup beacon, after the battery
        dislodged during a bumpy take off due to a sideward wind gust).

        A side note, we lost the first balloon, when we're still clueless and
        didn't put the $$$ sign.

        73 de Paulus N5SNN

        Email gratis 4 MB dengan fasilitas POP3 dan SMTP.
        Kunjungi Indonesia Interactive http://www.i2.co.id