RE: Bat Cams & Picavets

  • Brek Brixius
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2006
      I hadn't thought about the bat cam attracting bats.  Makes sense.

      I have seen the bat cams on ebay for cheap.  I wouldn't recommend them for snapping pics for the family photo album but I have been getting a lot of mileage out of them.

      I took my first one to work and let it snap pictures during our open house.  Kind of fun to cycle through the pics like drawings on a flip pad.

      The kite rig has been reconfigured several times.  It has bounced of the ground when the kite took a sudden nose dive and it has been dragged through the brush.  It has kept working so far (knock wood).

      Originally I had the bat cam tied in-line with the kite string through holes in the printed circuit board.  I got a few good pics that way but most were blurred.  Recently I built a simple picavet for it.  I took the picavet out today to test it but the winds were light and variable.  I was only able to keep the kite aloft for a short while.  Still, the picavet looks promising.  Most of the pictures it took today were clear and a few were only slightly blurred.

      Basically the picavet lets gravity level that camera platform.  The two center lines are held close together by a small ring to minimize rotation.  I wonder if this sort of suspension would be of any use on a balloon?

      Anybody get blurry pictures on the way up?

      Brek.

      Roger Hammond <rahammond@...> wrote:
      Brek,

      Congratulations on you and your wife getting your Tech Licenses!
      I use 200 lb. Spectra kite line and haven't had any problems, however, it may a little over-kill.

      Were the bats threatened by the Batman camera?  ;-)
      Seriously, after you mentioned the inexpensive Batman cameras you were using, I went to Wal-Mart the next day to see if they had any. All I could find were some pink princess cam's, I opted to not purchase one.

      73,

      Rog - KC0MWM

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2006
        Were the bats threatened by the Batman camera? ;-)
        Seriously, after you mentioned the inexpensive Batman cameras you were
        using, I went to Wal-Mart the next day to see if they had any. All I
        could
        find were some pink princess cam's, I opted to not purchase one.

        Oh come on! Be brave! Launch that princess camera into near space!

        Paul "no pink for me" Verhage
      • PAUL VERHAGE
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2006
          Basically the picavet lets gravity level that camera platform. The
          two center lines are held close together by a small ring to minimize
          rotation. I wonder if this sort of suspension would be of any use on a
          balloon?

          Anybody get blurry pictures on the way up?

          My cameras are mounted directly to the airframe. The only time I get
          blurring is at launch. After that, the motion settles down. Oh, right
          at burst is another time I can get blurring. At that point, all Nevada
          breaks loose. It's interesting with digital cameras. I don't get
          blurring, I get distortion.