I'm a HAM!

  • Brek Brixius
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2006
      Last Sunday I took the technician exam.  I am now Brek KC0YOE.  My wife had been listening to me as I studied.  I read out loud to improve retention.  She decided she had listened well enough that she wanted to take the test as well.  She is now Angela KC0YOF.  :)

      When I'm read then I can start working on the balloon tracking system.  Recently I have been flying one of my cameras from a kite.  I have 7 foot delta conyne.  Some of the KAP sites recommend a bigger kite.  In winds like we had today, the 7 footer is big enough.

      My line was humming like something from a sci-fi movie.  Towards dusk a couple of bats came out and flew around the line for several minutes.  That was fun to see.

      By the way, I have a bunch of 110 pound dacron kite string.  Is it any good for the balloon or what sort of line do I need?

      Brek.

    • Roger Hammond
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2006
        Message
        Brek,

        Congratulations on you and your wife getting your Tech Licenses!
        I use 200 lb. Spectra kite line and haven't had any problems, however, it may a little over-kill.

        Were the bats threatened by the Batman camera?  ;-)
        Seriously, after you mentioned the inexpensive Batman cameras you were using, I went to Wal-Mart the next day to see if they had any. All I could find were some pink princess cam's, I opted to not purchase one.

        73,

        Rog - KC0MWM

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 30, 2006
          Congrats on getting your ticket, Brek! I hope you'll find ham radio to
          have far more fun and interesting aspects than just for ARHAB.

          Re dacron cord: It's probably useful for balloon flight strings, but
          it's not nearly as "stretchy" as nylon. This means that line tension
          can soar under acceleration, as during launch and in particular post-
          burst chaos. I got a roll of if from U Wyo's retired balloon program,
          marked "DON'T USE" for that very reason. And EOSS has experienced a
          couple of line separations in flight - dacron cord was in use in both
          cases.

          EOSS uses woven nylon cord - the 250# tensile cord is sold as kite
          string, while the 500# stuff is used for our heavy flights. We've never
          encountered a line break with that stuff.

          73 de Mike W5VSI

          Brek Brixius wrote:
          > Last Sunday I took the technician exam. I am now Brek KC0YOE. My wife
          > had been listening to me as I studied. I read out loud to improve
          > retention. She decided she had listened well enough that she wanted to
          > take the test as well. She is now Angela KC0YOF. :)
          >
          > When I'm read then I can start working on the balloon tracking system.
          > Recently I have been flying one of my cameras from a kite. I have 7
          > foot delta conyne. Some of the KAP sites recommend a bigger kite. In
          > winds like we had today, the 7 footer is big enough.
          >
          > My line was humming like something from a sci-fi movie. Towards dusk a
          > couple of bats came out and flew around the line for several minutes.
          > That was fun to see.
          >
          > By the way, I have a bunch of 110 pound dacron kite string. Is it any
          > good for the balloon or what sort of line do I need?
          >
          > Brek.

          > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=42973/*http://www.yahoo.com/preview>

          "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not more so." A. Einstein
        • Brek Brixius
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30, 2006
            I hadn't thought about the bat cam attracting bats.  Makes sense.

            I have seen the bat cams on ebay for cheap.  I wouldn't recommend them for snapping pics for the family photo album but I have been getting a lot of mileage out of them.

            I took my first one to work and let it snap pictures during our open house.  Kind of fun to cycle through the pics like drawings on a flip pad.

            The kite rig has been reconfigured several times.  It has bounced of the ground when the kite took a sudden nose dive and it has been dragged through the brush.  It has kept working so far (knock wood).

            Originally I had the bat cam tied in-line with the kite string through holes in the printed circuit board.  I got a few good pics that way but most were blurred.  Recently I built a simple picavet for it.  I took the picavet out today to test it but the winds were light and variable.  I was only able to keep the kite aloft for a short while.  Still, the picavet looks promising.  Most of the pictures it took today were clear and a few were only slightly blurred.

            Basically the picavet lets gravity level that camera platform.  The two center lines are held close together by a small ring to minimize rotation.  I wonder if this sort of suspension would be of any use on a balloon?

            Anybody get blurry pictures on the way up?

            Brek.

            Roger Hammond <rahammond@...> wrote:
[...]

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • PAUL VERHAGE
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2006
              Were the bats threatened by the Batman camera? ;-)
              Seriously, after you mentioned the inexpensive Batman cameras you were
              using, I went to Wal-Mart the next day to see if they had any. All I
              could
              find were some pink princess cam's, I opted to not purchase one.

              Oh come on! Be brave! Launch that princess camera into near space!

              Paul "no pink for me" Verhage
            • PAUL VERHAGE
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 2, 2006
                Basically the picavet lets gravity level that camera platform. The
                two center lines are held close together by a small ring to minimize
                rotation. I wonder if this sort of suspension would be of any use on a
                balloon?

                Anybody get blurry pictures on the way up?

                My cameras are mounted directly to the airframe. The only time I get
                blurring is at launch. After that, the motion settles down. Oh, right
                at burst is another time I can get blurring. At that point, all Nevada
                breaks loose. It's interesting with digital cameras. I don't get
                blurring, I get distortion.