Re: [GPSL] Fwd: [HABITAT_SkyLab] cold soldering iron???

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2006
      Hi Don,

      I've not used one, but I think they work by running mondo high
      current thru the joint you're trying to solder thus producing ohmic
      heat in the metal. Given that it's a good practice to heat BOTH
      conductors that you're aiming to solder, there's a risk that some of
      that high current could wander off elsewhere in the circuit and let
      out unintended smoke.

      If you're looking for a cordless iron for field work, I'd recommend
      getting one of the butane powered irons. Rat Shack (used to?) sell 'em
      for about $15, and it comes with a torch attachment to boot. I've used
      it several times to help students repair balloonsats on launch morning,
      and most recently, I repaired a broken lead on my HT speaker-mic during
      the '06 GPSL conference!

      73 de Mike W5VSI

      Don KA0JLF wrote:
      > ??

      "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not more so." A. Einstein
    • David
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
        I agree with most of what was said, the cold heat ones
        work only so-so, you have to be good at making
        absolutely good surface contact before they work.
        If you want a battery powered one (to avoid butane
        fumes), there are 2 easy recommendations.
        1. The Weller battery powered one uses AA batteries
        <http://www.all-spec.com/1/viewitem/BP645MP/ALLSPEC/prodinfo/?gclid=CI3JsK38i4cCFQeqHgodlnDJ6w>

        2. The ISO-TIP models, 2C cells, or rechargable
        battery pack.
        <http://www.iso-tip.com/html/soldering_irons.htm>

        otherwise it is a butane one.

        > Don KA0JLF wrote:
        > > ??

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Don KA0JLF
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
          Yes, I had an ISO-TIP back before I was in tech school
          and after while heavy into hardward. It worked well. I
          might have to try to find another one of those, for
          multiple reasons. It worked very well. As I recall I
          used it to help build my first computer back in the
          70s.

          Thanks David!
          73
          Don