Re: [GPSL] GPSL 2006 T-shirts

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 14 2:27 PM
      Ouch mark,

      i don't know if you still have time,, but you should check out Cafe Press,,

      They say they can get them out in 2 days  so i guess there is still time,,  and you can get shirsts as low as 8 bucks  I just threw one in to check it out.

      http://www.cafepress.com/w_a_r.65824090

      Joe WB9SBD

      Mark Conner wrote:
      I've finally worked out a T-shirt design for this year.  There are two versions you can work with:

      This one does not have a callsign on it, and is intended for people who don't want a callsign or name on the shirt.  It's pretty simple to order - you just select the color, size, and style of shirt and place your order.

      The front of this shirt must be customized with your name and/or callsign, or you'll get one with N9XTN on it!  Just select the Customize button, switch to the front view, then change the text from N9XTN to whatever you want.

      Shirt prices vary from about $16.50 for a basic white L or XL T-shirt to around $23 for a 3XL premium shirt.  Ladies shirts, pocket Ts, and polos are available too.  Because of the color photo on the back, a white or gray shirt is recommended.  The design is not optimized for the "dark" T-shirts.

      To get a quantity discount and to save on shipping costs, group orders are encouraged.

      If you have questions, just e-mail me.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 17 11:06 PM

          Ok, Zazzle is expensive compared to Café Press, no doubt. But ...

          I ordered the shirt Mark designed with the customizable callsign. The order was placed on Friday, July 14, 2006 at 4:00 AM (yes early morning, not afternoon) and arrived USPS standard delivery on Monday, July 17th. So they're pretty speedy.

          I got exactly what I thought I'd get optically, meaning the positioning of everything was exactly as illustrated online. I did some customizing by bumping up the size of the callsign a few notches which required me to fiddle a bit with the layout so it didn't overlap any of the other text. So, pretty much, they do a good job sending you an accurate reproduction of your layout.

          I further customized the shirt by selecting a color other than white (yellow). I'm not a white tee fan.

          Now for the good or bad news depending on how you like your tees printed. This design applies ink directly to the fabric. Personally, I really like this technique as it lets the fabric breath making for a cooler shirt that isn't a perspiration trap. However, since I picked the yellow fabric, the photo was skewed color wise. Frankly, I like it the way it is but to each his/her own.

          The other common method of applying photographs and logos to fabric is to print them on appliqués that are ironed on to the fabric using heat activated glue. This method yields a more detailed photograph as there is more "material" to print to, whereas ink applied to fabric essentially takes on the weave of the fabric as its default resolution.

          So, for those of you trying to decide on whether or not ...

          73 -- Rick, NØKKZ

        • mconner1@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 18 7:11 AM

            Rick,

            Do you know what method Cafe Press uses for shirts?

            > So, pretty much, they (Zazzle) do a good job sending you an accurate reproduction of
            > your layout.

            This is true no matter what size of shirt you get.  Last year I got a 2T t-shirt for my daughter and it was an accurately-scaled version of the larger shirts, and the print was quite readable even at that small scale.

            > Now for the good or bad news depending on how you like your tees
            > printed. This design applies ink directly to the fabric. Personally, I really
            > like this technique as it lets the fabric breath making for a cooler shirt
            > that isn't a perspiration trap. However, since I picked the yellow fabric, the
            > photo was skewed color wise. Frankly, I like it the way it is but to each
            > his/her own.
            >
            > The other common method of applying photographs and logos to
            > fabric is to pint them on appliqués that are ironed on to the fabric using
            > heat activated glue. This method yields a more detailed photograph as there is more
            > "material" to print to, whereas ink applied to fabric essentially
            > takes on the weave of the fabric as its default resolution.

            Our original NSTAR shirts were this way.  It's nice for photos because white comes out as white, rather than the shirt color.  But it does not breathe at all, which is rather uncomfortable in the summer heat.  They also start looking rather ugly after several washings as the media breaks down.  The Zazzle shirts do fade a bit with washing, but still look decent.

            Zazzle also has a newer printing method that uses white inks on dark-colored shirts for more accurate photo rendering.  I have not tried them yet, and I'm not sure the current GPSL design is suitable for dark-shirt printing (have to have transparency stuff set properly).

            73 de Mark N9XTN

          • David Hoffman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 18 7:30 AM
              Last year when I ordered two shirts from Zazzle, they accidently put my
              daughters name on both shirts. I double checked the order and my name was
              suppose to be on one shirt and my daughter's name on the other. I emailed
              this info to them, seems I couldn't find a phone number for them, and also
              told them that the event was coming up very soon. They told me to throw
              the original shirts away and promptly corrected my order by over nighting
              the corrected shirts to me at no additional shipping costs. I was able to
              attend GPSL 2005 with the right shirts after all. I was very impressed
              with that kind of service from them. I am still impressed with the
              quality of the shirts today. They are holding up well.

              David Hoffman - KE4FGW

            • Rick von Glahn
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 18 5:29 PM
                Mark,

                >Do you know what method Cafe Press uses for shirts?

                It depends on the item. I just ordered an EOSS "Golf" shirt from them, it only was available with a heat transfer. However, most of their newer stock will allow the vendor to set either direct printing or heat transfer when creating the original and they can even leave that choice up to the customer if they want.

                Cafe Press is a bit less expensive but I haven't yet discovered a way to allow the customer to modify the design of merchandise. So, it would be impossible (or perhaps impractical would be more accurate) to add personalized information to a design (callsign). But I should note that it has been a year or perhaps two since I really looked into that. I wanted to be able to offer that option to the EOSS store customers.

                73 -- Rick, NØKKZ