CALLING ALL PRESENTERS

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 10, 2006
      I'm now taking volunteers and requests for sessions at the 2006 GPSL in
      Hutchinson. If you are interested in presenting, please include the
      following in your response:

      Topic (5 words or less)

      Short description of your presentation (2 sentences or more)

      How much time do you expect the presentation and related questions to take?

      Do you have a preference of when you present?

      What resources will you need for your program (projector, computer, DVD,
      tables, spinning rooms, etc)?

      If you are not interested in presenting, but would like to see someone
      else speak on a specific topic, I'd be interested in hearing your
      suggestions.

      Zack Clobes, W0ZC
      Project: Traveler
    • Troy Campbell
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 10, 2006
        Zack:

        Topic:
        OnLine Flight Prediction Service

        Demonstrate the work flow for interfacing the perl based balloon track software with www.arl.noaa.gov/cmet.html.

        Demonstrate  the interfacing of the resulting computed track files to google maps V-2

        Demonstrate  the source code and usage of the on-line ascent calculation.

        Demonstrat the open-source graphing software and interface for the graphs used in the on-line balloon tracking system  (currently only one graph but working on some more )

        Present some ideas for expansion of the system.  Q&A

        Length:
        The actual presentation shouldn't take more that 15-20 minutes.  If the questions aren't to involved, that should be all.

        Schedule:
        Don't have a preference on presentation time.

        Requirements
        Spinning rooms are optional.  Mostly will need a projector, computer with a reasonable browser on it. and internet connectivity.      Worst comes to worst and I can bring a projector and computer, I'll just need an internet connection (faster than a dialup or google maps will crawl).

        73 de  Troy  KC0MIC
        Near Space Ventures
        CAPnSpace

        Zack Clobes <zclobes@...> wrote:
        I'm now taking volunteers and requests for sessions at the 2006 GPSL in
        Hutchinson.  If you are interested in presenting, please include the
        following in your response:

        Topic (5 words or less)

        Short description of your presentation (2 sentences or more)

        How much time do you expect the presentation and related questions to take?

        Do you have a preference of when you present?

        What resources will you need for your program (projector, computer, DVD,
        tables, spinning rooms, etc)?

        If you are not interested in presenting, but would like to see someone
        else speak on a specific topic, I'd be interested in hearing your
        suggestions.

        Zack Clobes, W0ZC
        Project: Traveler

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • wb8elk@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 10, 2006
          Hi Zack,

          Topic: Long Duration Flight techniques

          Time: 45 mins or more preferable

          Needed: Computer with projector, DVD player, VHS VCR

          Also, I'd like to do a Balloon Bloopers segment....any groups with fun
          blooper photos or videos, please email me or forward to me. I have quite a
          collection of my own missions gone totally awry but definitely would love things from
          as many groups as possible.

          - Bill WB8ELK
        • PAUL VERHAGE
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 12, 2006
            I just found out a lot of my email is blocked by Group Wise as spam.
            for some reason, stuff from GPSL is often blocked. I can now see the
            blocked email, so I shouldn't miss any more messages. If someone
            emailed me and I didn't reply, please contact me.

            I'll present on BalloonSats in high school. I'm getting ready to write
            about them again and will have some products I'm developing. So my
            topic is, BalloonSats in High School. I'll talk about some new
            construction techniques and experiments. I won't need more than 30
            minutes (I think that's typical for us). I don't care when I present
            and I'll need a LCD projector.

            Thanks for hosting GPSL this year.

            Paul

            >>> zclobes@... 4/10/2006 6:58 pm >>>

          • mconner1@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 12, 2006
              Topic: Meteorological aspects of high-altitude ballooning

              Description: Basic meteorological factors affecting high altitude balloon launches and track predictions. Understanding meteorological charts and models. Forecasting tips.

              Time: 45-60 min (includes Q&A)

              Resources: Computer with projector and PowerPoint

              For those of you at GPSL 2002 at KSU, this talk will be an update of the one given there.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 13, 2006
                Hi Zack,

                I'd like to show the group a little widget that appears to avoid
                one suspected cause of PBC:

                Topic:
                "Fast Burst-sensing Balloon Release"

                Abstract:
                Shards from a burst latex balloon remaining attached to the apex of
                the parachute is a suspected major culprit leading to Post Burst
                Chaos (PBC), since it can exacerbate parachute instability, especially
                above about 50,000 ft. Separating the balloon lift line immediately
                upon burst should eliminate thus undesired effect. EOSS has developed
                and successfully test-flown such a device, which, once armed, will
                release the balloon lift line immediately after the line tension drops
                below a predetermined trip point. ATV imagery shows a successful
                release and no signs of PBC and will be shown as a wmv movie. Other
                PBC-avoidance schemes will also be discussed, along with maybe some
                spooky pix of PBC consequences.

                Time: 15-20 minutes + Q&A.

                A/V: SVGA projector. Hold the spinning room :-{.

                2nd topic:

                One of our newer members, Steve Meer K0SCC, is working on a wireless
                "Balloon LAN" to permit inter-payload communications up and down the
                flight string while avoiding the seemingly inevitable risk of cable
                damage due to line twisting. We've test-flown it with mixed success.
                But we hope it'll be proven in time for GPSL, and that Steve will
                have a presentation ready to go. If so, I'll let Steve respond
                with your requested info, or a "No way, Jose'" - whichever.

                73 de Mike Manes W5VSI
                EOSS

                Zack Clobes wrote:
                > I'm now taking volunteers and requests for sessions at the 2006 GPSL in
                > Hutchinson. If you are interested in presenting, please include the
                > following in your response:
                >
                > Topic (5 words or less)
                >
                > Short description of your presentation (2 sentences or more)
                >
                > How much time do you expect the presentation and related questions to take?
                >
                > Do you have a preference of when you present?
                >
                > What resources will you need for your program (projector, computer, DVD,
                > tables, spinning rooms, etc)?
                >

                > If you are not interested in presenting, but would like to see someone
                > else speak on a specific topic, I'd be interested in hearing your
                > suggestions.
                >

                > Zack Clobes, W0ZC
                > Project: Traveler

                "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not more so." A. Einstein
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 15, 2006
                  Hey, that's great, Steve!

                  I'm sure the GPSL audience will take a lot of interest in the B-LAN;
                  there's been chatter about such a thing for a couple of years now.

                  The past GPSL conference sessions have been pretty informal in view
                  of the "visiting firemen" nature of the audience. Kinda like
                  some of the presentations at EOSS meetings. Last year, the audience
                  was about 50 or 60 as I guesstimate, and included some
                  professional educators from Space Grant colleges just getting into
                  this business. This is quite an evolution in just a few years.

                  The venue will be in a hotel meeting room with all the necessary
                  A/V hookups for PPT, DVD, VHS etc I assume. Show & tell can be
                  on a sidebar table during breaks or embedded in your talk - your
                  call.

                  The number of presentations has also grown, so keeping your pitch
                  as concise as possible may be important.

                  That's about all the guidance that I can give you, based on having
                  done 3 GPSLs so far. Perhaps Zack can provide further?

                  73 de Mike W5VSI