Re: [Ballooning] Re: [GPSL] STARA - Miniature Guided Parachute Sensor Delivery from UAV

  • Gene Harlan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2006
      Interesting! Not something I had thought about.

      Gene - WB9MMM

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 27, 2006
        I know some friends who's UAV projects were shut down.
        I haven't heard or check on them in a couple of years.
        Worth checking. Thanks Gene, I'll try to check on 'em.

        73
        Don

        http://mail.yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 28, 2006
            1.) FAA
            2.) flying across FL
            3.) R/C UAV
            3a.) Video - HUD for pilot to fly remotely

            Above from memory, a few years old, not completely
            reliable. I don't know if the website is still up.
            I'll have to revive old emails.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Don KA0JLF
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 28, 2006
              Oh, I may have misunderstood your question Zack.

              This was an Amateur Radio project, so it was basically
              a one person with friends project (kind of like the
              balloon thing). They were carring HAM gear.

              There is a organization for the Big Boy UAV projects.
              They mostly do goverment and research type stuff. They
              have goverment approval to fly, but I don't know the
              details on that. There is a website for the
              organization, I don't recall what it is, but a google
              on UAV would probably find it. I'm pretty sure some of
              the past postings had links in them if you followed
              the path. As I recall there were several base
              projects, LTA, Helo, flying wing, parafoils, and
              balloon. In fact I just heard something on the radio,
              either this week or last, about them being used on the
              southern boarder and increased interest in them.

              Hope this might be more of what you were asking.

              73
              Don

              http://mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 30, 2006
                Hi Zack,

                Not sure about Don's experience, but FAA NW Region refused to grant
                a waiver for U. Ky Big Blue project to release a 15 lb autopiloted
                glider from 100K'. They cited new FAA regs intended to be applied
                to big stuff like USAF Predator etc flying in US civil airspace.
                The rules require the bird to be equipped like an airplane, including
                visual see-and-avoid techniques.

                They did OK a release below 18K' VFR in Class E aispace, provided the
                control op could see the glider and execute see-and-avoid maneuvers.

                73 de Mike W5VSI, EOSS

                Zack Clobes wrote:
                > Who shut the projects down? How big were they, and what were they carrying?
                >
                > Zack
                >
                > Don KA0JLF wrote:
                >
                >>I know some friends who's UAV projects were shut down.
                >>I haven't heard or check on them in a couple of years.
                >>Worth checking. Thanks Gene, I'll try to check on 'em.
                >>
                >>73
                >>Don
                >>
                >>--- Gene Harlan <atvq@...> wrote:
                >>

                >>>Interesting! Not something I had thought about.
                >>>
                >>>Gene - WB9MMM

                "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not more so." A. Einstein