UX-5 balloon now at 10882 meters just east of I-95 near Rahleigh NC as of 2318z

  • wb8elk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2005
      Hi Harry...you've got the perfect place in the country to copy both AZ and TN balloons!!!....as of 2318z, the UX-5 balloon was crossing I-95 east of Rahleigh, NC at about 35,700 feet...(10,882.6 meters). I appears to be descending at about 150 ft/min so it will take 4 more hours to come back down...by that time it will be well out to sea....they've designed the payload to float in the water and then go back up at sunrise, so keep listening for it in the morning and during the day tomorrow.

      73s de Bill WB8ELK

      http://www.utarc.org   has a form for reception reports on it.

      http://forums.utarc.org   go to Balloon Chat....then Balloon Report...for live updates as they come in.

    • Harry M
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2005

        Hi Bill,

        I had a good time trying to copy both balloons.
        I've never tried to copy PSK before. It is an
        interesting mode. I wish I could've copied more
        of UX-5's cw. It was in and out and the short
        time it was in it was very hard to copy. It will
        be interesting to see if we start getting reception
        tomorrow. GLuck!

        73
        Harry KC5TRB

        -----

        Hi Harry...you've got the perfect place in the country to copy both AZ and TN balloons!!!....