Re: [GPSL] WB8ELK Balloon now floating at 61,700 feet

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 17, 2005
      60k has always been a magical number for "floaters", I assume because of the whole concept of controlled vs. uncontrolled airspace.

      Being exempt and all, is there any real significance to this number?  Would there be a real problem with a floater that was at 50k?

      Zack Clobes, W0ZC
      Project: Traveler

      wb8elk@... wrote:
      The Sun went down and the balloon stopped ascending and has now leveled off at 61,700 feet and appears to be happy there for the time being....it will probably track across Virginia...go over Richmond and out to sea....it's currently northeast of Knoxville, TN...over 200 miles downrange.

      My latest landing site prediction:  The Bermuda Triangle.

      It's -46 deg. C inside the payload and it still is working.....also the 50 milliwatt beacon on 146.565 is still operating (update - it just died out at 5:18 pm CST but the APRS packet is still working)...it is using a 9-volt lithium with only 3 layers of bubble wrap for insulation...it's amazing that it still is operating.