AFCEA article on balloon-borne comm

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2005

      http://www.afcea.org/signal/articles/anmviewer.asp?a=1042&z=39

      Looks a lot like what we’ve been doing……

      Thanks to Wayne KE6DZD of NSTAR for this link.

      73 de Mark N9XTN

    • PAUL VERHAGE
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
        How did they figure that 65,000 feet represents near space? I've been looing for a standard for a while.

        Paul

        >>> n9xtn@... 11/30/2005 9:38 PM >>>
        http://www.afcea.org/signal/articles/anmviewer.asp?a=1042
        <http://www.afcea.org/signal/articles/anmviewer.asp?a=1042&z=39> &z=39

        Looks a lot like what we've been doing..

        Thanks to Wayne KE6DZD of NSTAR for this link.

        73 de Mark N9XTN
      • John C Nordlie
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
          IIRC that's the top of controlled airspace, so maybe that's their
          measure. I'd always heard NS was around 100K+.

          John Nordlie N0RNB | Regional Weather Information Center
          nordlie@... | University of North Dakota
          701-777-6112 / 701-777-3888 fax | PO Box 9007, Grand Forks, ND 58202-9007
          http://blizzard.rwic.und.edu/~nordlie/

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
            Well, in the US anyway, the FAA's jurisdiction tops out at FL600
            (60K' pressure altitude). If "99%" means anything, then 100K', with
            its ambient baro pressure of 10 mbar (1% of std MSL), then I guess
            I'd have to say that the environment at 100K is 99% - >real< near -
            of outer space. About the only orbital ambient condition that we
            can't duplicate to 99% accuracy is microgravity, but we would if we
            could get into a 17,000 kt jet stream :=}.

            73 de Mike W5VSI

            John C Nordlie wrote:

            > IIRC that's the top of controlled airspace, so maybe that's their
            > measure. I'd always heard NS was around 100K+.

            > John Nordlie N0RNB | Regional Weather Information Center
            > nordlie@... | University of North Dakota
            > 701-777-6112 / 701-777-3888 fax | PO Box 9007, Grand Forks, ND 58202-9007
            > http://blizzard.rwic.und.edu/~nordlie/
            >
            > On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, PAUL VERHAGE wrote:
            >
            > > How did they figure that 65,000 feet represents near space? I've been looing for a standard for a while.
            > >
            > > Paul
            Einstein